Opinion on long finned red tiger oscars

• THQ
  • THQ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

THQ created the topic: Opinion on long finned red tiger oscars

Hi, I am trying to decide whether to get a regular or long finned red tiger O.

My LFS has many 2-3 inch baby long finned ones and also another tank of normal ones. Long finned ones double the price but not an issue. My single oscar tank will be 6x2x2 and have relatively peaceful sth americans tankmates like sevs, acaras, etc. No fin nippers.

Any difference at all between them apart from the length of fins? eg., temperament, hardiness, life span, susceptibility to diseases, etc

I know for example, some goldfish bred for their fanciness are quite deformed and have millions of health problems, and even some colour morphs of common cichlids can be different and more delicate than the original eg., EBJD.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Opinion on long finned red tiger oscars

Long finned oscars will have the same problems as any inbred fish. It will be more prevalent since they are relatively new compared to the lutino oscar. I would not count on the sevs and acaras not being aggressive to the oscar and chasing the oscar causing its fins to tear or if the oscar itself gets aggressive and tears its fins trying to chase the other cichlids.
The following user(s) said Thank You: THQ

• THQ
  • THQ's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

THQ replied the topic: Opinion on long finned red tiger oscars

Thanks for the reply. Hmmm, ok I think I will get the common red tiger oscar then. I think they are the closest to the wild ones and thus the least inbred and most hardy of all the oscars?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Opinion on long finned red tiger oscars

In nature when something stands out as being different, it's often a target. Long finned Oscars are not a natural phenomenon, they are bred to look like that, therefore they are more likely to get picked on which will result in their fins looking tatty if you have other fish. I think if I was ever going to keep one of these fish it would be one on its own.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Opinion on long finned red tiger oscars

i,ve got some long finned oscars in the community, one really has tattered finage even if not being bullied... the others remain intact thought they are all in the community tank...

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds