Oscars breathing very heavily

• Thank you received: 0

Trevor_S replied the topic: Oscars breathing very heavily

The filter on the tank is a Fluval FX5. the water testing kit is : API freshwater Master testing kit.

There is a wall of fine bubbles up the centre of the tank.

By the results just now, the water is at 0 for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite. the ph was a little higher at 7.2.

Today the oscar is slowly swimming at the top of the tank but still appears to be gasping.

How do I raise the level of nitrate or would it just be my testing gear? The local petshop hasn't said anything about this yet but they seem to test the water using the strips.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Oscars breathing very heavily

hi Trevor_S.. when was the last time you do the water change?
having zero ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate means your tank cycle had crashed
or the set up is not yet fully cycled.
for effecient filtration, zero ammonia and nitrite means your system can cope up
with the biolaod but there must be nitrate as the end product of the ammonia and nitrite..

• Thank you received: 0

Trevor_S replied the topic: Oscars breathing very heavily

Thank you for your replies. I took a water sample to the petshop to find I haddone something wrong as they showed me that all was good in the readings. Ph was down 6.9 and the ammonia and nitrite were at zero with the nitrates at between 5 and 10 ppm.
The oscar was photgraphed and the local fish expert gave me some antibacterial stuff Melafix to put into the tank. Sadly the fish died this morning 21/11/16. The fish showed no other signs except slow movements and a very decreased appetite.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds