Baby Oscar!

• Josh7
  • Josh7's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Josh7 created the topic: Baby Oscar!

I just got a tiger oscar baby haha! He's in my 55 right now with no tankmates he will be the one I out in the 125 in June with my silver dollars, firemouth and featherfin catfish!:) I don't know how to upload pictures or I would! But hey random question here could I keep a sailfin pleco and a jaguar cichlid if I got them,both at 1.5 inches in a 75 gallon for a year then,upgrade them to a 125 or 150?? Just a question haha!:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Baby Oscar!

You have picked two that can get extremely large so I don't think 125 gallons will suffice if I'm honest. I think you should definitely be thinking about getting something around 150 gallons (UK) or even bigger if possible. You'll also need a lot of very powerful filtration. You could get one large canister filter, or have two slightly smaller ones installed.

I've never had Jaguar cichlids before so I am not sure what their growth rate is. You got to be careful with some other plec species because they can get out of hand I've seen 24 inch ones before. You'll probably find that the one you want will exceed 12 inches.

Anyway, keep us posted on what you want to do and people will be more than happy to advise. Don't take my advice for gospel, other people may have done exactly what you want to do 150 gallon without any problems whatsoever. However, having Lots of larger cichlids myself and had very big tanks, I always urged people who want to keep the fish today for the largest possible.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Josh7
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Josh7 replied the topic: Baby Oscar!

Yah no problem right now I'm just excited about my new oscar who I hope gets huge haha ! He Wil be the king of his 6 foot tank,this June !:) But yah I don't really have my head set on a pleco at all I really just want the Jag and some type of bottom feeder maybe a catfish species like some type of syno cat and I have seen a lot of people say that you can,house a jag in a 75 for a year since they generally only get about 10 inches in their first year I have also heard a pair could be kept in a 125 so I would guess a jag and a smaller tankmate like a syno cat would be ok but I want to hear it from you all here generally people here give better advice I just am in love with the jag!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Baby Oscar!

A few of our members have Jaguar cichlids and from what I can remember many of them actually keep them on their own, own a pair, as long as the tank is big enough of course. I think if it was me I would probably keep the Jaguar cichlid on its own so that had the tank all to itself.

I had a Claris catfish a few years ago, but those can get quite I wouldn't recommend them because they eat other fish. The best catfish I've ever had are in syndontis family. I had a couple of them that didn't exceed 8 inches, they were never bothered by the Oscar and were quite happy living in a plant pot.

I had him years ago, but funnily enough I've still got a photo of him in his plant pot

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Josh7
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Yah I have my featherfin which is probably my favorite catfish I,have ever owned its gorgeous and 7 inches! Yah I just want to see if the jag I get will accept a smaller tankmste do you think,I could keep one happily in a 125 gallon?

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Baby Oscar!

A male Jag will eventually outgrow even a 125g. Likely will accept no tankmates as he gets bigger. Mine lives alone in a 180, he is 4yrs old and sits right around 16ins. Female that tops out around a foot long would be ok in 125, but still unlikely to accept a tankmate. Jags most often mean business when it comes to claiming territory. Beware the Sailfin, its a huge swimming garbage can. Astounding waste production, a big one can ruin 100gals of water in less than a week.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Josh7
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Well how about this option here then could I keep a jag in a 75 gallon for a year so hopefully tell it gets about 10 inches then upgrade him to a 120 gallon a 5 foot by 18 inch tank would that work out or no? Or maybe the 4 foot by 24 inch option ? Or would it need a 125 gallon minimum? Thanks for the replys on this topic!

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Baby Oscar!

well... to give you some encouragement, your jag will be fine in a 75 gal tank for a while... provided it is equip with good filtration... jag and fh requires same water parameters and i had kept an FH in a similar tank size that grew 14" in just a matter of 12 months.. in this pic, i had to put a divider to keep another fish for a while LOL!

• Josh7
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Well nice that makes me happy I saw them for the first time in person the other day and I fell in love with jags they are stunning and agile! Do you think in a big enough tank a syno cat that maxed around 9 or 10 inches would make it?

• Josh7
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

And btw my,new little oscar hates me haha he won't take pellets off the surface yet he did love some brine shrimp I gave to him but every time I come to the glass he still runs off and hates me it's kind of funny

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds