Baby Oscar!

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Baby Oscar!

lol, little Oscar doing what is quite normal, sounds all good. Re the Jag, and I speak from considerable experience with large CA cichlids. There comes a time, and particularly with the upper crust meanies, when the kill switch goes off. At this time they will kill or be killed trying to be the king of the castle. If a Jag wants a tank to itself, it will make it happen. This is most often true of Dovii, Jags, Midas and RD, Motaguense, even smaller killers like Grammodes, Salvini, and even the wee Convict can be a handful. If you plan to raise a Jag in a 75, I think the odds of having a tankmate of any species, any size are very low. My guy accepted a large Pleco until one day he wanted it dead. If I hadnt been right there for the attack, it woulda been all over very quickly. Jag is very fast, lotsa teeth strong jaws. Inch for inch, a Jag with a chip on its shoulder is virtually unbeatable in an aquarium. An awesome cichlid, but should be a loner in anything except huge(several hundred gallon) tanks.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josh7
  • Josh7's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Josh7 replied the topic: Baby Oscar!

Well do you think I could keep one in a 75 gallon for a year then,upgrade him,to something like a 135 or 150 and let him be in there alone that will be fine?

Oft given and quite good advice is to stock any tank according to the adult size of the fish. Common that life situations change, and that bigger tank planned for next year doesnt happen. However, if you are certain that you can provide adequate space for an adult jag, then yes, you could raise him in a 75. Mine went from a 90, the same 48x18 as a 75, then up to a 125. When he grew past a foot long the 125 was looking a bit tight. Now in a 180 with a 24in width, still growing and making that look tight as well. Not inadequate, but a big fish can make an otherwise big tank look small.To see a male to its full potential of size and longevity, plan past an 18in wide tank. Thats my guy in the middle of my banner, taken a couple years ago in the 125g. He was about a foot long then.

• Josh7
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

He will be upgraded or I wont keep him longer than a year I can guarantee I will satisfy the requirement though and upgrade the guy I will more than likely sell my 75 and use that money to help out with buying it as well! And this baby oscar is being a devil for eating I'm,sure he will get hungry enough and give in to the pellets!

• Josh7
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

This is the longest I have seen one go without even wanting a pellet I know it's only been 2 days but still I'm worried he is terrified of me ...

• Josh7
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Well he still isn't eating its bothering me he's active very shy still and won't come out the water is perfect I mean perfect 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 5 nitrate and he just is sulking a lot and the only thing he has touched is I caved and have him half a blood work cube but I don't understand I drop floating pellets right in front of his nose and he turns away should I just keep trying I'm just lost on what to do.....

You have to be more stubborn than he is. A healthy Oscar wont starve himself. They are smart little buggers, if he thinks there is eventually gonna be something he wants he will wait you out. Be strong!

• Josh7
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

ok I will just keep trying but I can't believe how shy he is most oscars like to greet me which is what I love to see its why I like oscars this guy just sulks or hides behinds plants every time I walk by or look at the tank

Just to ease your mind a wee bit.. its not critical essential that Oscar eats pellets. Its recommended due to the balanced nutrition a quality pellet provides. The main thing is to see that the fish gets quality feed. There are other options. Re the frozen bloodworm, its not a good thing. Very low in protein and generally around 3/4 moisture content. To mix it up a bit, go with freeze dried. Krill, shrimp, tubifex, etc. Try some fruit and veg pieces. Earthworm and mealworm, crickets. Theres a wide selection of good cichlid food. It doesnt HAVE to be pellets. Keep on him for now though.

• Josh7
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Yah all I had were blood worms I generally feed brine shrimp and meal worms to my oscars along with pellets I just hope he takes to them,because it will save me money if he eats them 3 days a week instead of feeding all kinds of other stuff so I will keep,up with it I'm,sure he will give up and eat them haha

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds