Few Questions

• MrPositivity87
  • MrPositivity87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

MrPositivity87 created the topic: Few Questions

I study herpetology, but have never got into aquatics; however, I recently purchased a baby tiger oscar from my local petco. I don't know much about this little guy yet, or his care, but I am ready to learn. It's about 2 inches in length, and is housed in a 55 gallon aquarium with no other fish except for a picasimus. So questions I have, How long with this tank be big enough, what should the pH regulate at, do they tend to lay (like this thing literally lays on its side on the gravel bottom), does the water need a good current?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Few Questions

welcome on board to the community!

55 gal is good enough for a single oscar... though bigger tank is always better... pH ... from 6.5 to 7.5 will do provided it does not fluctuate drastically. good current is an option but good turn-over through good filter is a must.. for canister type filter.. it is recommended to have at least 5 to 10 times turn over..

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Few Questions

Hi there and welcome to our little community.

Okay, first things first, the majority of people would agree that 55 gallons is just big enough for one adult Oscar but no tank mates whatsoever. So as long as you don't add any tank mates, you should be okay with that tank for the foreseeable future, but as long as you have a good filtration system, one of these little submersible filters I'm afraid will not do.

As for pH, captive bred Oscars should be perfectly okay with a pH between 6.0 & 8.0. It would be surprising if your own pH felt either side of these figures.

As for the Oscar laying on its side, yes, that is quite common, I've had Oscars that I've done that quite a lot. As long as the Oscars feeding regularly and looks healthy then there shouldn't be too much to worry about. As for a current, no need for any current in the aquarium. Some people like to put in some movement so that the debris and poo gets washed towards the filters and gets taken out, rather than just sitting there static.

I'm sure somebody else will give you the benefit of their experience and will add to the conversation. If you have any other questions that don't hesitate to ask

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Few Questions

Hello and welcome. More important than Ph right now is proper filtration, and that filtration being able to process toxins produced by the fish. Get an API freshwater liquid test kit. Monitor for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. You want 0 of ammonia and nitrite, as these are very toxic. You want to maintain a regular nitrate level of under 20. Do enough water changes to reach desired values on each. You have about a year max before your wee fella outgrows the 55. Water quality is the priority for now.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds