Oscar and Silver Dollars

• Wols
  • Wols's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Wols created the topic: Oscar and Silver Dollars

Bought my fish yesterday. They have settled in really well. I have bought one Oscar and seven Silver Dollars. Not sure on what type of oscar it is. I'm presuming its a tiger, so if anyone can confirm that would be great. The oscar is about 5 inches and the silver dollars are about 3 inches with one of them full grown. I found the full grown one alone so bought it to give me an idea of how big the others grow and how they look in the tank. Lets say that they are big, so i can only imagine what the full grown Oscar will look like in the tank :laugh:

Any way, ive talked enough so here are the pics

First up: Oscar (haven't named it yet)

And the Silver Dollars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar and Silver Dollars

Good choice of fish. Yes its a tiger Oscar, good looking specimen. Well done!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Wols
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Wols replied the topic: Oscar and Silver Dollars

Suprd71 wrote: Good choice of fish. Yes its a tiger Oscar, good looking specimen. Well done!

Thank you Suprd71. Oscar is definitely a character. Not sure if it's normal but the Oscar is only eating frozen peas!! I have put pellets in and the Oscar will take them into his mouth and spit them straight out again. I have tried two different types (Ocean Nutrition Cichlid Omni Pellets and Hikari Cichlid Gold) with the same results. The peas he absolutely demolishes. I have bought some whole fish and shrimp to try out. Hopefully he will like those.

Silver dollars are eating well, except the large one. Its taking a little longer to get comfortable than the others and so far hasn't eaten anything. It's only been a few days so im not overly worried at the moment.

Stop with the peas and force him onto pellets. Peas are used as a laxative of sorts, but offer little in nutritional value. If he likes the veg taste thats great. See if you can get some aquatic veg based pellets, with a good dose of kelp and seaweed. Taking in and spitting out indicates he is interested in eating, just being fussy and stubborn. Its up to you to out-stubborn him. Oscars are quite good at the game, but rest assured, a healthy Oscar will not purposely starve itself. He will eventually cave and eat what is offered.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wols

• Wols
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Suprd71 wrote: Stop with the peas and force him onto pellets. Peas are used as a laxative of sorts, but offer little in nutritional value. If he likes the veg taste thats great. See if you can get some aquatic veg based pellets, with a good dose of kelp and seaweed. Taking in and spitting out indicates he is interested in eating, just being fussy and stubborn. Its up to you to out-stubborn him. Oscars are quite good at the game, but rest assured, a healthy Oscar will not purposely starve itself. He will eventually cave and eat what is offered.

Thanks for that. Did not realise they were used as a laxative! Ill keep that in mind for future reference. The food i ordered arrived yesterday afternoon. I bought some dried whole fish (smaller sized one's) and Ocean Free Arctic Shrimp. He absolutely loves both!! He tore the fish out of my fingers (Is that classed as a hand feed?). Even the silver dollars went crazy for the shrimp. I'll hold off on feeding peas for a short while. The shrimp has to be used within a week so ill be feeding that regularly, for the next week. I'll have a look around for some veg pellets. Any suggestions? I was thinking of new life spectrum products. I have the Ocean Nutrition Cichlid Vegi Pellets at the moment. I feed those to the silver dollars and the Oscar doesn't really go after them. It does list both fish and krill meal in the ingredients so not sure how that is classed as vegetarian.

You will find fish and krill in every class of pellet. I am not familiar with Ocean Nutrition, but can tell you that NLS is premium food. I prefer Northfin, but not available to you as yet. NLS Algaemax would be a superb veg pellet. Just as important is Vitamin C intake. See if he will take some fruit chunks, or extra bonus, some green pepper. I have a wide variety of cichlids, but only 2 takers for green peps. Higher VitC content than an orange, per unit weight. You can fool your fish into eating some veg as well. Get some 2mm kelp pellets, stash a few in the shrimp and fish chunks. Oscar will wolf that down and not even realize what he ate! I do this with a couple of large carnivores. I have a huge male Jaguar cichlid that can gobble down whole jumbo shrimp. Little does he know that daddy packs them with veg pellets. Silly boy!

• Wols
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I will be getting rid of the Omni Pellets and buying something else. I will continue with the Vegi Pellets as well as get the NLS Algaemax. Hiding pellets in the food is a good idea! I will definitely start doing that. I will try the green peppers and see how it goes. He generally goes for anything thrown in and spits out what he doesn't like :lol: . Hopefully he likes the taste of it.

I have also added a striped Raphael to the mix and my stock levels are now complete. Will try and get some photos of it but they are so good at hiding!!

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re:Oscar and Silver Dollars

Nice Oscar. Keep up with the photos as he gets bigger.

About the setup. How large is the tank and what kind of fikters you have running?

"TapatalKing"

• Wols
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Wols replied the topic: Re:Oscar and Silver Dollars

S.S. wrote: Nice Oscar. Keep up with the photos as he gets bigger.

About the setup. How large is the tank and what kind of fikters you have running?

"TapatalKing"

Thanks S.S.

My tank is a 6x2x2. I had a filter compartment built inside the tank. More info can be found here

oscarfishlover.com/forum/14-tanks-filtration-heating-etc/307060-new-tank

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re:Oscar and Silver Dollars

Ok. Thanks.

"TapatalKing"

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds