Oscar lying on bottom of tank wagging tail

• Oscarsmom50
  • Oscarsmom50's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Oscarsmom50 created the topic: Oscar lying on bottom of tank wagging tail

We have an Oscar who we got when he was a baby. He has grown to 3 times his size in about a year and was doing really good. Recently he has started periods of laying on the bottom of his tank looking at me and every minute or so he will flag his tail. I may be worrying about nothing but it concerns me. He is alone in the tank and I am the primary feeder since my bf works. We feed Oscar pellets, feeder fish and meal worms. The feeder fish he gets 2 or 3 times a week, the meal worms he gets the other days of the week along with the pellets to keep him healthy. Has anyone else had an Oscar who does this laying on the ground and flagging their tail? I may be wrong but it seems like some of the times that this happens I will stay with him for a but then when I walk away and come back he has pooped. Could that be the reason for laying on the floor of the tank and the tail flagging?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Oscar lying on bottom of tank wagging tail

Hello and welcome to OFL. An Oscar doing what yours is doing most likely has a problem. Without more detailed info its hard to pinpoint something specific. One serious mistake you are making however is with his diet. Feeder fish, and especially goldfish, Rosie red minnows etc from a pet shop are the absolute WORST thing to feed your Oscar. Chocked full of parasites, diseases, little to no nutritional value, there is simply nothing beneficial to giving your Oscar these feeders. A consistent diet of mealworm is not the greatest either, but nowhere near as bad as feeder fish. Feeding every day is not good either for a year old Oscar. Stop the fish and mealworms immediately, stick with his pellets(brand please?) every 2nd day. Could you tell us his tank size, kind of filtration and what you do for regular water changes? Oscar health is directly geared to tankspace, clean water and quality diet. Diet is a fail so far, lets address the other 2 if necessary.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Oscar lying on bottom of tank wagging tail

Suprd71 is spot on... i concur with him... no more to add..
just give us info as requested...

welcome to the community.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds