Oscar seems out of it

• Nate9388
  • Nate9388's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Nate9388 created the topic: Oscar seems out of it

Hello, i am new to this site and new to cichlid keeping. My oscar has been hanging out near the heater tge past few days. He used to swim around with the other oscar but now seems like he has lost interest in everything. The only time he is active is when its feeding time or if he sees me for the first tine of the day. Any thoughts as to what may be wrong or why hes acting this way?
Current setup is 3 total fish. 2 oscars and 1 j.d. oscars are about 2in max each and the j.d is about 2.5. 55gal aquarium for the time being. They all get along great and eat well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Oscar seems out of it

Welcome to the site.

First things first, unfortunately 55 gallons is not anywhere big enough for the three fish that you are keeping. Okay, they are small at the moment so they probably look tiny inside the tank. Eight or nine months time the situation will be reversed and it will be quite evident that the tank is not big enough. The best thing you can be for the moment is to rehome two of the fish and just keep one. I know that's not what you want to hear, but that is the only option you have if you want to keep an Oscar long term. Obviously it's up to you whether you keep them all, if you do then our hands are basically tired when it comes to trying to help with problems, especially water problems.

Have you tested the water? Whenever fish behave slightly different to what you expect then a water test is always a good idea. All fish keepers should keep a water test kit whether they have problems or not. You need ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

The fish in question, is it behaving normally, apart from its hanging around the heater? How warm is the water? How about the breathing, is it opening and closing its mouth all the time?

If you can get back to us with some answers then we will try and help

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Nate9388
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Nate9388 replied the topic: Oscar seems out of it

Yeah as i had stated its just a temporary tank for now. I have 2 more aquariums coming soon. Only used a 55 because they are very small at the moment but you are right they will definitely need more elbow room in the near future. Water temo is at 79. Nitrates and nitrites are both 0ppm. What is the recommended ph level? Ammonia tested between 0 and .25ppm. As far as breathing, everything is normal. Nothing seems out of the ordinary compared to the others. Thanks for your helo. Your advice is greatly appreciated

• Nate9388
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Also the ph is at 7 6. I heard numerous perspectives on what it should be so im not really sure which is most accurate to the comfortability of the fish

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Oscar seems out of it

Ph is fine. Are you testing with a liquid test for ammonia and nitrite?

• Nate9388
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Yes i have the full test kit. I dont trust the test strips.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Oscar seems out of it

something has spooked it then, measure ammonia and nitrites everyday for 1 week.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Oscar seems out of it

Nate9388 wrote: Yeah as i had stated its just a temporary tank for now. I have 2 more aquariums coming soon. Only used a 55 because they are very small at the moment but you are right they will definitely need more elbow room in the near future. Water temo is at 79. Nitrates and nitrites are both 0ppm. What is the recommended ph level? Ammonia tested between 0 and .25ppm. As far as breathing, everything is normal. Nothing seems out of the ordinary compared to the others. Thanks for your helo. Your advice is greatly appreciated

well, that is a good plan...
water temp at 79 is acceptable but perhaps oscar finds it warmer near the pump LOL!
kindly check the nitrate level... you may got it wrong because zero nitrate means tanks is "not cycled yet"

Welcome to the community.

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re:RE: Oscar seems out of it

Nate9388 wrote: Hello, i am new to this site and new to cichlid keeping. My oscar has been hanging out near the heater tge past few days. He used to swim around with the other oscar but now seems like he has lost interest in everything. The only time he is active is when its feeding time or if he sees me for the first tine of the day. Any thoughts as to what may be wrong or why hes acting this way?
Current setup is 3 total fish. 2 oscars and 1 j.d. oscars are about 2in max each and the j.d is about 2.5. 55gal aquarium for the time being. They all get along great and eat well.

So and how is your oscar now?

"Tapatalking!"

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds