Small hole on oscars head

• Chefswagg
  • Chefswagg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Chefswagg created the topic: Small hole on oscars head

Long story short.. I got 2 oscars 1 is a tiger oscar not sure what the other one is but it's a gray color very pretty. I purchased them at walmart a few days ago and I put them in my 10 gal tank until I set up a bigger tank which should be within the next week or so yesterday I added a pleco checked the ammonia and it was at a 3.0 so I did a 50% water change then the ammonia went to 1.0 and I added ammonia safe tablet to the tank. It stayed at a 1.0 then today I did another 50% water change added everything it needed to make the water safe for the fish I also only had the tank cycling for about a week before I got the fish and I had to buy a new filter sad news I didn't know that you had to have good bacteria in the filter since I had set up the tank just recently and I didn't add ammonia or cycle the tank first.. so yes I'm trying to cycle with oscar fish and yes it's a hard task. During the water change I added some substrate/gravel from my friends tank that has been up and running for a little over a year. I'm hoping that it helps put good bacteria in the water. I also have been taking the test strips and checking the water every day 1\2 times a day if not more and it has been reading the same thing and I just checked the ammonia and it's down at a 0.5 I also have 2 filters running now .. any advice on what this is on the fishes head would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chefswagg
  • Chefswagg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Chefswagg replied the topic: Small hole on oscars head

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Small hole on oscars head

Hi there, welcome to our community.

Well, you already know that your tank is nowhere near efficient for an Oscar, in fact it's only big enough for a few very small community fish. You really should have waited until you have got a much larger aquarium before getting the Oscars. I should mention that with the fish you have at the moment you should be looking to get an aquarium with a water volume over 100 gallons.

Also, you're going to have the added problem of having to cycle the new aquarium before the fish in the 10 gallon tank can be transferred. Having said this, it sounds as if you are really in a bad situation at the moment. I don't think that you are going to be able to get on top of water conditions that easily without putting the fish at really high risk of toxic poisoning. If I was in your position I would take the fish back to the shop and ask them to keep them until you have the new tank all set up and ready.

Unfortunately I'm not able to see the photo you posted because the library is private. If indeed this is how stages of hole in the head disease then you are going to have a real uphill struggle to cure it. Please post the photo again. However, I really don't know how much more we can help you if you are going to continue as you are.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re:Small hole on oscars head

I subscribe OFL words. Very dangerous situation for those fish and even on some LFS I don't know how they can keep good water conditions in really small tanks with tons of fish.

"Tapatalking"

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds