Are my oscars pairing or fighting?

• abuzalsky1
  • abuzalsky1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

abuzalsky1 created the topic: Are my oscars pairing or fighting?

Ok. First off i have a tiger and an albino together that have been together since the pet store got them in and since i had purchased them.

I had a dempsey with them from the beginning but they kept going at each other so i seperated them. Such beautiful fish. Just couldnt give any of em back.

Anywho, my oscars, i have seen lock jaws before. Theyre only about 2.5 maybe 3in at most. Today my tiger has been darting at my albino. Doesnt seem too aggressive imo. The tiger is kind of nonchalantly chasing the albino around the tank. Not fast, fairly slow and kinda chill manered. They tried to lock jaws again but my tiger has a messed up jaw. (He was like that when i bought him. Partly the reason i did get him as i felt he/she would have been left unloved if i hadnt.) So tigers jaw kind of makes it difficult to open as far as needed to eat or anything else.

My albino will get close to the tiger and kind of like turn on his side and float down tot he bottom. Not really sure of what their behavior is suggesting so any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: Are my oscars pairing or fighting?

it's definitely not breeding Oscars only start breeding at year/year and a half or so

(assuming tank size and water parameters are in check )the only thing you can do is keep a eye on them if thay hurt each other or become stressed out separating them is real your only option

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

• abuzalsky1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

abuzalsky1 replied the topic: Are my oscars pairing or fighting?

Any tips on how to tell if they are stressed. My tiger often changes colors. They sit next to each other like theyre cuddling. Tanks size and parameters are definitely great.

• Thank you received: 9

muddybear replied the topic: Are my oscars pairing or fighting?

abuzalsky1 wrote: Tanks size and parameters are definitely great.

Firstly, welcome to site.

Unfortunately your post tells us very little about your water quality. Numbers from a trusted test kit (such as API liquid test) are needed in order to properly help your situation.

Please could you provide accurate information regarding tank size, filtration, feeding, water change schedule, temperature, any other tankmates and numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph.

I realise that seems a lot but in order for anyone to help you properly it really is necessary.

That said-the short answer to your question is that your fish are fighting not pairing. Oscars do not become sexually mature until they are much older and larger. Mixing cichlids is always a gamble-and mixing Oscars is no different, from doing lots of reading it would seem that the general concensus is; try by all means but have a back up plan as when/if things do go wrong, they go wrong very quickly.

Oscars will change colour due to various factors-environment, mood, stress. Have you provided adequate hiding spots for your fish to escape each other?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Are my oscars pairing or fighting?

Yes, I totally agree, they are far too young to even think about breeding so this is just a territorial matter, basically who will have a hierarchy over the other, that's my guess anyway.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• abuzalsky1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I have a 150 gal tank with a Marineland C-Series Multi-Stage Canister Filter. I have a backup tank thats already cycled with nothing in it.

I use the api liquid tests. My ammonia is 0 nitrites are 0 pH is 7 temp is 78°f. I do water changes twice a week with a 10% to 15% water change and once a month do a 25% to 50% water change. They get fed in the morning and at night as per instructions from the pet store (not a chain store if that helps) since theyre juveniles. If i missed any thing i will add. That was a lot to remember lol.

• abuzalsky1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Also no tank mates. Just the 2 oscars.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds