• BegineerOscar
  • BegineerOscar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

BegineerOscar created the topic: My oscar Behaviour

Hello experts

Today i see my oscar behaving strange

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/590e0e0a6b34d/20170506_215236.jpg?

Sorry for water clarity still my new canister sunsun 304B needs time to settle down.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: My oscar Behaviour

Hello and welcome to OFL. Fighting his own reflection? Very common and completely normal. Any sudden strange behavior, which that isnt, is most often linked to water quality. Can you tell us more of your setup? Tank size, water change schedule, diet etc? Could be something needs addressing.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: My oscar Behaviour

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY!
i agree with Suprd71, it is normal behavior of maturing oscar...

• BegineerOscar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

BegineerOscar replied the topic: My oscar Behaviour

Thank you for your reply.

I started this hobby without any knowledge. I got a old Fish tank with single Oscar (1st fish in my hobby).
What I attached picture is 2 Oscar fish, its not reflection.

My Tank Setup

Dimension: 100L x 43.5W x 63H (cm)

Decoration: some kind of stones lying at the bottom which came with Aquarium. I planning to remove as it is difficult for me to clean.

Filtration: Canister Sunsun 304B with 4 trays, filled with Mechanical and Biological Media. seems my mechanical filter doesn't work efficiently planning to upgrade.

Fish: Tiger Oscar 4, think I have overloaded them. 2 Oscars I own and other 2 I will return it back soon. Just I put them all together to select their mates.

Water Cycle: I am doing 25-40% water change every other day to clean fish waste which is accumulating at the bottom.

Water Quality: My big mistake, never know I need to check them before adding fish. Soon I will buy API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

Food: Hikari Bio-Gold plus feeding them 2 times a day. Once in a week I feed them also Beef liver and Fresh shrimps.

• BegineerOscar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

BegineerOscar replied the topic: Re:My oscar Behaviour

Hope it will be somewhat clear that other one is not a reflection of my Oscar

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Re:My oscar Behaviour

well... good to know it is not a reflection but actual lip locking...
another normal behavior of an oscar... either spawning rituals or
sizing each other to find out who is the BOSS in the tank...

unless aggressiveness extend to the body and tail... you should not worry!
The following user(s) said Thank You: BegineerOscar

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:My oscar Behaviour

Alrighty then, a clearer picture of whats happening. Some major problems though. First is tank size. At roughly 70 US gallons and a small footprint(LxW), the tank is really suitable for only one Oscar. And, a healthy Oscar with average growth rate will outgrow that tank in a year max. Picture a 12-14 inch fish of over a kilo. Not much room. No need to feed twice a day. The fish look to be of size that once a day is plenty, and skipping a day or two per week is a good thing to practice. The BioGold as a staple and shrimps as treats is a good diet. Stop feeding liver, its difficult for the omnivorous Oscar to digest and process. No advantage to it at all. Try fresh fish like Tilapia. Fruit pieces like orange, mango, banana, pears. Finally as Draco stated, those fish are fighting for supremacy in the tank, I doubt it will stop. Lack of space is not helping. You should do 1 of 2 things... select one Oscar for the tank you have, or possibly a pair that seem to get along and upgrade tank size significantly. 2 meters long and 150+ gallons is a good home for 2 Oscars.

The following user(s) said Thank You: BegineerOscar

• BegineerOscar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

BegineerOscar replied the topic: Re:My oscar Behaviour

Tank size:
Will Consider upgrading the tank size in future (probably by 3-6 months). meanwhile I will try to learn more about the hobby. B)

Food:
Tilapia is much cheaper than the fresh shrimps, So I can feed them happily.

Filtration:
chemical media: Will add seachem purigen (100ml is enough in my case) if my tap water Nitrates are high.
Mechanical media: Coarse and fine sponge at the bottom of the tray, to give enough room for beneficial bacteria.

My water quality is cloudy, any recommended method to bring it clear or should wait till the beneficial bacteria establish? My LFS suggested me use Seachem Clarity.

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:My oscar Behaviour

Your cloudy water could be due to several things including incomplete cycle, inadequate bio capacity, overstock. I would combat with water changes, not chemical enhancement. Throwing as much clean water in the tank will only be benefit to the fish. I suggest some mechanical filtration addition. For this another filter, the Aquaclear 110 hob. Its a big powerful reliable and easy to maintain filter that should cost you around 80 bucks. It will take some strain from your canister. Another quick tip.. shop online for supplies. Almost always cheaper than retail outlets, and no sales people selling you things you dont need

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re:My oscar Behaviour

Is that tank really a 100lts (25gal) tank? If it is so you need to upgrade "yesterday" not in 3 to 6 month.

"Tapatalking"

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds