My oscar Behaviour

• BegineerOscar
  • BegineerOscar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

BegineerOscar replied the topic: Re:My oscar Behaviour

S.S. wrote: Is that tank really a 100lts (25gal) tank? If it is so you need to upgrade "yesterday" not in 3 to 6 month.

"Tapatalking"

No it's more or less 275 liter (72 gallon) and I am doing water change every other day. One canister 325GPH and added a sponge filter filter, both running all the time. Only switch them OFF while I feed (not more than 30 secs). My fish all are healthy,as I stated earlier I am going to keep only 2 OSCAR other 2 by end of this week I will return to my LFS.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BegineerOscar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

BegineerOscar replied the topic: Re:My oscar Behaviour

Suprd71 wrote: Your cloudy water could be due to several things including incomplete cycle, inadequate bio capacity, overstock. I would combat with water changes, not chemical enhancement. Throwing as much clean water in the tank will only be benefit to the fish. I suggest some mechanical filtration addition. For this another filter, the Aquaclear 110 hob. Its a big powerful reliable and easy to maintain filter that should cost you around 80 bucks. It will take some strain from your canister. Another quick tip.. shop online for supplies. Almost always cheaper than retail outlets, and no sales people selling you things you dont need

I have checked some online shops, price of Aquaclear HOB filter which is almost equivalent to my Canister (I got for $90). I will check the same with my LFS and update you later.

• S.S.
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • "Failure is giving anything less than your best"
  • Thank you received: 15

S.S. replied the topic: Re:RE: Re:My oscar Behaviour

BegineerOscar wrote:

S.S. wrote: Is that tank really a 100lts (25gal) tank? If it is so you need to upgrade "yesterday" not in 3 to 6 month.

"Tapatalking"

No it's more or less 275 liter (72 gallon) and I am doing water change every other day. One canister 325GPH and added a sponge filter filter, both running all the time. Only switch them OFF while I feed (not more than 30 secs). My fish all are healthy,as I stated earlier I am going to keep only 2 OSCAR other 2 by end of this week I will return to my LFS.

OK. On the tank description 100L means length lol.

Even with 275 liter you won't keep the nitrates low enough with two Oscar's. Except with massive and frequent WC. They grow very very fast.

I have a 400lts and was hoping to upgrade on the end of the year but even 75%wc weekly, before each wc nitrates are 25ppm and I imagine in 3 months time they will reach 50ppm with all my fish growing till then so I can't wait to the end of the year.

"Tapatalking"

• BegineerOscar
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

BegineerOscar replied the topic: Re:RE: Re:My oscar Behaviour

S.S. wrote:

BegineerOscar wrote:

"Tapatalking"

OK. On the tank description 100L means length lol.

Even with 275 liter you won't keep the nitrates low enough with two Oscar's. Except with massive and frequent WC. They grow very very fast.

I have a 400lts and was hoping to upgrade on the end of the year but even 75%wc weekly, before each wc nitrates are 25ppm and I imagine in 3 months time they will reach 50ppm with all my fish growing till then so I can't wait to the end of the year.

"Tapatalking"

I just need time and money to build my own custom tank.

Sure I will take advise from experts here before I start building it.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:RE: Re:My oscar Behaviour

DIY tank builds only become cost effective when going really big. 8 footers of 300+ gallons. For average home tanks, good used deals are quite common. Something in the 150gal range can often be had for just a few hundred bucks. Watch Craigslist or similar sites in your area. If doable, new with a solid warranty is always a worry free path to take. Build your own stand, cut your own glass for lids saves a lot of money.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds