Releasing Oscars into the wild

• OFL
  • OFL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL created the topic: Releasing Oscars into the wild

Somebody has put this question to me. My answer is no, you should never release a fish into the wild unless you have permission by the authorities. I don't know what the law is in the USA or other countries but here in the United Kingdom you can face a very hefty fine if you release fish into the wild without permission. There is actually a very good reason why this rule is in place. If you release of fish that is heavily diseased, all the other could aquatic life could easily become ill very quickly. There is also the possibility that introducing a noxious species into an environment where it is not supposed to be could result in other species being wiped out totally. Two prime examples are the grey squirrel and the signal crayfish, both of which have had a devastating affect on their English counterparts (Bloody Americans, only joking :laugh: ) So take my advice, don't release fish into the wild unless you have permission.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Bella replied the topic: Re:Releasing Oscars into the wild

we have had a prob with carp being released in australia, some places have a fishing day where the person who catches the biggest one wins a prize,there is also a a really big fine for releasing any fish and some plants have been taken off the market as they are now a huge prob in some areas.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: Re:Releasing Oscars into the wild

Bella wrote:

we have had a prob with carp being released in australia, some places have a fishing day where the person who catches the biggest one wins a prize,there is also a a really big fine for releasing any fish and some plants have been taken off the market as they are now a huge prob in some areas.

Yes, I know about this. The carp is classed as a noxious species in a lot of rivers and like you say, there is something like $100 fine for anyone releasing one after they have caught it. You've got to knock it on the head and chuck it up the bank.

Can't imagine that happening here. The carp is adored over here

oscarkeepa replied the topic: Re:Releasing Oscars into the wild

wow only $100 there? I knew this guy who get hit up with like 2500 aussie dollors for releasing a fish.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: Re:Releasing Oscars into the wild

oscarkeepa wrote:

wow only $100 there? I knew this guy who get hit up with like 2500 aussie dollors for releasing a fish.

It was in Australia I was talking about. Mind you, the fishing programme that I saw it mentioned on was from around seven years ago, maybe more so they may have increased the amount of money they fine people. The problem is, carp can wreck the vegetation and I suppose this could cause a follow-on effect on other species. I believe that the Murray cod is one of the most admired fish in some of the rivers and this has been put under pressure by the carp so I can understand the authorities not wanting them in there. We have purpose made fishing lakes that are stocked with carp because they are so popular

Bella replied the topic: Re:Releasing Oscars into the wild

They are very popular pets here,and thats the problem, people put them in their aquariums when their little and than when they get too big they let them go,dont get me wrong most people do love them but some people just dont think.
Last time it was in the paper it was at shortland wet lands nsw,we have a few carp
groups in newcastle so id say they would of taken them (i hope they did) :(

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds