new to forum and to oscars

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:new to forum and to oscars

When you say little, how big is little? 30 gallons is really not big enough for an Oscar. However, if we are talking 6inches and under, you will be able to control the water perfectly okay with regular tank maintenance. Keep a close check on the filter media, it will become clogged up very quickly with Oscar crap. What you have got to remember is that Oscars grow at an alarming rate. Let's say you purchase an Oscar at 3 inches in January, that same Oscar will be around 7 inches by June or July. So you should start thinking about a new tank very soon because we all know how time flies and Oscars grow at about the same rate

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mattk
  • mattk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

mattk replied the topic: Re:new to forum and to oscars

the oscar is about 2 inchs so he's small still. and i am looking at buying a bigger tank for him i have about 100.00 saved up but still have aways to go to buy the bigger tank and a external canister filter for it.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

He'll be okay for a little while. Sounds like you'll have a good setup, you will love external Callister filters, they are great. Have a look at eheim, they build some really fantastic filters, really well made.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

I have got one for sale, an eheim 2329 wet dry filter. £250 new. I am looking for £50. However, I am not a great lover of wet dry filters. They do need slightly more maintenance than your average cascade type filter because of the mechanism. If you leave them too long, they slow up. But, they work really well.

• mattk
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

im posting to ask for help again. does anybody on the forum know why an oscar would die over night. he was great before i turned off his light and fed him and he had been doing great since the last time i had posted he had started swimming around the tank and coming to the top of the tank when it was feeding time and then when i turned on the light this morning he had this stiff apearence and didn't move at all his gills didn't move or his fins so i am wondering if the people of this forum could help me determine why a oscar who was healthy die

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Very much like a human being or any other animal that dies unexpectedly, unless you do an autopsy, it will be extremely difficult to determine how it died.

• mattk
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

i have another question for my fellow people of the forum do oscars play dead and i mean dead? like they don't move and there gills dont move becuase i thought my oscar was dead and i was planning on maybe getting my water checked at my local pet store to see if that was the problem but then when i turn on my power head and turned the heat up on the heater to full he started to move around. what is the temp for an oscar supposed to be. the water temp in my tank is around 75-77 f and know that i turned it up and it is at 84f. could this of been the problem that has made him do this maybe you guys can help me with this problem that i seem to be having with my oscar.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

If I was you, I' I would get myself a test kit so you have it on hand all the time. Your Oscar shouldn't really be lying around doing nothing. This is often a sign of trouble if an Oscar is lying around doing nothing. I assume you do water changes? Get your water tested as soon as possible. Do a 30% water change and make sure that you put water conditioner in. How do you clean your filters?

Your water temperature is okay, try not to let it fluctuate too much. Sudden water temperature changes aren't that good for fish

• mattk
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

my filters should be good i changed them on sunday when i did a 20% water change. i will have to look into getting a test kit for my oscar. and how often should i turn my power head on to aerate the water. i would leave it on all the time but the water movement when it is on is extreme it sucks him towards it and im afraid that he will get sucked on to it and get stuck.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

This business with changing your filters worries me a little. Can you give me a very detailed description of how you maintain your filters? Don't leave anything out, tell me absolutely everything about how you maintain your filtration system.

As for your powerhead, I've never actually used for tank before. The only powerhead I know is one that you would use in a pond to get a Fountain or waterfall working, Are we talking about the same thing? If you check where the water comes back into the tank from the filters, make sure that the surface of the water is being disturbed quite a lot, if it is, then you should be getting quite a bit of oxygen generated in the water. I assume you are using some kind of nozzle or spray bar. Make sure that these are not submerged under the water

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds