new to forum and to oscars

• mattk
  • mattk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

mattk replied the topic: Re:new to forum and to oscars

when i changing my filters on my filter system i change them once every two months. and ussually when im doing a waterchange, and my filter system is one that hangs off the back of the tank i dont really do much just grab the old charcoal filter dip it a couple of time into the aquarium water and then replace it with a new charcoal filter. theres nothing really hard about changing this thing i thought the filter system has a sponge in front of the charcoal filter and it says to never wash it so i have never washed or removed it and the charcoal filter is just rinse and replace with a new one. and throw out the old one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:new to forum and to oscars

Okay, you don't need charcoal/carbon so I would take that out if I was you. You normally only use these things to remove nasty things from your water or if you have just medicated the tank and have come to the end of the treatment and once to remove any left over medication. The problem with carbon is it can on some cases leach toxins back into the water so it's best not to use it. Okay, so you never wash any of your filter media out in tap water?

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• mattk
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

what else can i use with my filter then do i just leave the sponge in the filter and run with that or is there another filter that i can use besides the carbon. the brand of filter i am using is aqua-tech it came with the tank when i bought it and i found the filters are available at walmart but havn't been able to find it at the pet store that is near me. could you possibly tell me where i could find another type of filter.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Since I don't live in the United States, I can't really tell you where to go. There must be a shop that sells all sorts of aquarium accessories nearby you. I would suggest you go for an external canister filter. I'm not really familiar with your filter but I just had a quick look on line. Is yours using what they call a bio wheel? In other words, does the wheel turn as the water goes through the filter?

• mattk
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

no i wish it did but nope its a simple i guess walmart brand filter but it can be adapted for a biowheel since it is just the cheap brand of a petsmart penguin biowheel filter.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Well, personally, I don't think your filter is anywhere near good enough for an adult Oscar. Not sure how big you said your Oscar was. Oscars really do need good filtration. If you don't have adequate filtration, you are just going to get yourself in a real mess. What will happen is the filtration will not be able to keep up with the amount of waste produced by the is Oscar. You have got to remember that an Oscar produces ammonia from its waste, urine and from its gills so there is a lot there. If the filtration can't keep up with the amount of the ammonia being produced, ammonia will just start building up in your tank and this could have a serious effect on your fish. I don't like telling people that they need to go and spend money because I don't know their circumstances. All I can say is you need more filtration.

• mattk
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

so i just bought another power filter for the tank its a aqua clear 300 and a used 55 gallon this week is there anything i need to do to a used tank to set it up for my oscar. this tank is only goijng to be temperary since i have plans on building a 275 gallon aquarium for him and some friends. i have friend that bought a oscar that is about 6 inchs from our local petland and the guy thatwas helping droped the poor thing on the ground from five feet and he hit the cement. he seems to be ok but he lost a couple of scales on one side and we are wondering what to do with him to make suer he wont get an infection or anything.. any comment s would be greatly apperciated.:)

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

You could try putting some stress coat in just in case he has lost some of the slime coating. As for setting up your new 55 gallon. Get it all filled up with water not forgetting to treat it for chlorine. Several your filters up and if you can, try and seed it from a filter that is working already. It depends what sort of media is in the one that is working. You could take it out and squeeze all water into the new filter. If it has been running for some time about cleaning, there may be little bits of gunk, you can put these in the new media. If you are using gravel in the existing tank. You could take a handful out and put in the new tank. This will help a little bit. If you have got a couple of rocks in the existing tank that look discoloured because they have been in there for a while, these are also quite good to use because they will have a little better beneficial bacteria attached to them. It won't be as much as you will find in the filtration but it's worth doing

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds