need advice if possible

• vmaxchick
  • vmaxchick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

vmaxchick created the topic: need advice if possible

Hi there i recently got a fantastic oscar who as some of them do can eat like a damn horse haha but I follow guidlines given and have been giving him a muscle daily normally i cut this into 3 and if need be spread out his feeds and make it 2 small feeds a day but only the one muscle as it is cut in half. I may later on give him one or two pellets. Is this a bad idea? I have at home muscles, bloodworm, cockles and pellets, can anyone suggest a daily feeding plan that may be better that i can follow from the goods listed above. many thanks in advance. He likes all of the above foods.

Also can i ask i have had him now for about 4 weeks and jesus is he frantic when you feed him, he jumps out of the water to get to you like a starved fiend :unsure: yet as you can gather thats one thing he is not, is there any way to curb this at all? he dont care about your hand at all being there just wants the food, i know the fish shop where i got him were getting them to jump for their food out of the tanks and dont know if its came from that, they had 8 oscars jumping for one damn muscle. Hope you can advise.

Many thanks to all from a concerned owner
have a good day
Hster :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re:need advice if possible

Welcome to the forum. I tend not to stick to a strict feeding regime, more of relaxed and varied diet. In other words, I haven't got a chart that says I only feed pellets on Monday and bloodworm on a Tuesday. You are obviously feeding your Oscar a good varied diet so I wouldn't have thought you need to stick to a plan. Pellets are definitely best as a stable diet so I will definitely be feeding them more than anything else. I do actually tend to give them pellets in the morning and then defrost something in the evening. But like I said, pellets are my Oscars main diet. They absolutely love prawns and kril and I probably give those to my Oscars two or three times a week. You have to remember that everybody does it differently so you will get a different answer from everyone, this is just my opinion. Personally, I think you are doing a really good job.

Oscars do get very excited when they are young, from my experience they do tend to calm down as they get older. They will have their moments as you may see by some of the videos. Just be very careful that the Oscar doesn't jump out of the tank. I don't think it's a very good idea to encourage fish to jump but sometimes they do it whatever.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• vmaxchick
  • vmaxchick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

vmaxchick replied the topic: Re:need advice if possible

thank you so much for that, when you say prawns do you mean prawns that can be bought anywhere for example but small enough for them as i dont think my fish shop has them, never have heard of kril need to search for that one. I forgot to say that when i feed him pellets he takes them rather calmly and wont jump for them haha. Meant to ask should salt be addded to the tank each time it is cleaned ect or should it be only every 6months or so, its a 65 gallon tank and when i put him in well prior i added only 6 tablespoons of special sea salt. Not sure when to add more and if to add more?

im trying to find out what type he is and he seems close to a tiger oscar but not sure as he has various colours of brown on him and some close to dark and then red circles towards the tail a large one at the end then red little sprays on the tail. Will check you site again and by the way its bloody fantatsic a pleasure to read and packed with info for a beginner.
many thanks
H

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Firstly, thanks for the compliment, is very much appreciated as I do put quite a lot of hard work into this forum/website, it's nice to know people value my effort.

I would advise you to trying to get whole uncooked prawns or shrimps. Cooked shelled prawns will be readily accepted by Oscars but they don't have the fibre that is contained in the outer shell that is good for Oscars. Krill look just like prawns and they come in various sizes, some small and some quite big, your local fish store should have some.

Put a picture in the gallery, I'm sure we can work out. Problem is, he might have come from a batch that came from two different species of Oscar, so it's difficult to say exactly what he is.

Hope that helps

• hster
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

hster replied the topic: Re:need advice if possible

thanks for that will take a picture over the weekend and post it in the gallery and let you know what one it is. Got some whole frozen shrimps today he kept it in his mouth for over and hour haha and hope he ate it after that.......cheers Hster

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

You must make sure that any food is eaten, especially things like shrimps. When they go rotten, they can cause poor water conditions. Anyway, Oscars normally love things like shrimps and prawns so hopefully he gobbled it all up. If it seems too big, chop it up.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds