smaller not getting the feeders

• rosieoscar
  • rosieoscar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

rosieoscar created the topic: smaller not getting the feeders

Hi, everyone. I recently acquired 3 juvie oscars. 2 of them are approx 3in long & the other is about 2.5in, but only half of the other guys overall size. Anyhow, all they were fed before was flakes, so I've been offering up different meals for them.

I put some rosie reds in their tank earlier & the bigger two wolfed them down. The smaller one tried to get a couple, but kept getting beat out (not beat up) by the other two. When I feed the brine shrimp & pellets they all seem to eat fine; the bigger two still eat more, but the smaller one still looks like he gets enough. I'm crazy obsessed right now, so whenever I feed them I sit and watch until it's all gone.

What I'm worried about is that the bigger two will grow grow grow, while the smaller one will just simply grow. Does that make sense? Should I just keep an eye on them and their growth for now, or should I seperate the smaller one at feeding times to make sure he gets his fair share? He's my favorite out of the 3, so I don't want him to get the short end of the stick.

Thanks for any help & advice.

Rosie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re:smaller not getting the feeders

You should really only have two Oscars, or four Oscars, not three. Like they say, two's company, three is a crowd. I would strongly advise you to find a new home for the weaker Oscar before things start getting nasty. How big is your tank?

Baby Oscars are very greedy. It can be sometimes difficult to make sure they are all get their fair share. Try and coax the weaker Oscar to the other end of the tank while you feed the other two. Feed him on pellets so he can get them easily, rather than having to chase live food. Feed them three times a day as well.

Like I said, three Oscars is not a good idea, there is a very good chance that you will have a pair from those three Oscars. If two of them to pair up, the other one is going to be ostracised and could well get picked on all the time.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• rosieoscar
  • rosieoscar's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

rosieoscar replied the topic: Re:smaller not getting the feeders

You know, I was worried about that when I got them. Even asked about it and was assured that they'd do just fine together. Go figure. Okay. I'll figure something out to do with my little guy, then. Thank you much. :)

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re:smaller not getting the feeders

Good thinking. This is happening more and more, so-called experts who run fish shops giving crap advice. It's either they don't know anything about the species they are selling, or they don't care and are just in it for the money.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds