Feeding for 2 minutes!?!?

• learningthehardway
  • learningthehardway's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

learningthehardway created the topic: Feeding for 2 minutes!?!?

I have noticed that on fish food packets they say that you should feed as much as your fish can eat within 2 minutes. Now with bloodworms, cichlid mix, lance fish ect this is not a problem as it all gets eaten up within the suggested 2 minutes with a decent sized portion, but when feeding cichlid sticks or flakes would you just keep throwing it in for 2 minutes no matter how much this amounts too over the "2 minute" period, or stop when you think the fish has had an adequate amount?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:Feeding for 2 minutes!?!?

Don't just keep putting food in for two minutes. If you are feeling pellets then just drop a couple in and let eat them. Carry out this procedure for a couple of minutes making sure that they have eaten the pellet before you drop another one in. However, with baby Oscars and Oscars that are still growing, it is actually recommended that you feed them until their bellies are slightly rounded (not bulging). This may sound like you're overfeeding, that isn't the case, it won't take many pellets to round off an Oscars belly. Remember that baby Oscars and Oscars that are still relatively young need to eat to grow properly. Baby Oscars are very greedy because they need to eat a lot, people have to remember that. Forgotten how big your Oscars but if it is 8 inches or upwards then this rule doesn't count. Oscars that have stopped growing, or who have got to adulthood, do not need to eat a lot of food. You really should only be feeding them once a day. Then give them too much, maybe three or four pellets depending on the size. You can give them a larger meal around three times a week but don't give in to their begging, if you do, you'll be giving them far too much food

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• learningthehardway
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

learningthehardway replied the topic: Re:Feeding for 2 minutes!?!?

my albino is only about 5 inches and is atleast 14 months old so i think maybe i was not feeding him enough as a baby or more like the bigger oscars were scoffing it all up, i have been dropping the pellets in and letting him finish one before i throw in another but have only been giving him about 6 - 7 pellets which takes him no longer that a minute, although i mostly feed him bloodworms, cichlid mix, lance fish and garden worms.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

I would expect an Oscar to be a lot bigger than 5 inches at 14 months old.. certain factors do come into it though. Tank size, quality of the water, what you feed it. From my experience, your fish should be at least eight or 9 inches by now.

• learningthehardway
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

learningthehardway replied the topic: Re:Feeding for 2 minutes!?!?

is there such a thing as a dwarf oscar, i ask this because i had 2 others that both reached about 8-10 inches in the same tank.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

not as far I know

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds