Troubling problem

• Akkaren
  • Akkaren's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Akkaren created the topic: Troubling problem

Hi all,
I am hoping some one out there may she some light on a problem I am having with my oscar.
Huey has not eaten in almost 4 weeks. Normally, he is an eager eater but I noticed he was not eating as much and now has stopped altogehter. This has occured over a month or two time period.
Water parameters; 75 gal tank. pH; 7.2, Ammonia; 0 ppm, Nitrite; 0, Nitrate ;0- 5ppm. ( a bit high, I know)
Filtration; 2 Penguin 350 bio wheels
water changes; 25% weekly, sometimes bi-weekly
Diet; Hikari pellets, plus frozen brine shrimp, beef heart and sometimes superworms as a treat.
Tank mate; 1 small bristlenosed pleco (3 inches)
Background;
Huey is about 7 years old and is now 11 inchs long. (got him and another oscar as 2 inch pups) Other oscar was euthanised after developing a large tumor 2 years ago.
(the pair, at the time, lived in a 150 gal pond. )
Several months ago, he began developing HITH. I stepped up the water changes to weekly and if treating with meds, every 3 days according to med instructions. No change in the HITH.
I began a more strenous treatments and water changes and began seeing results with the HITH lessions healing up, but now he has stopped eating.
I am rather baffled.
Behavior wise, he seems OK. He is alert and begs for food, but quickly spits it out and becomes uninterested. Obviously, he is losing weight, but for a fish that has not eaten in almost 4 weeks...he seems fine. He even attacked my hand during this morning's tank cleaning.

I am wondering if he may have some "obstuction" and is unable to swallow.
( I am recalling his fry buddy had a HUGE tumor on his side.)
I also observed him having an altercation with his tankmate a few weeks back. I wondered if he was stabbed with a barb in his mouth. The past week I have been treating the tank with Melafix to help heal any wound...but nothing has changed.
I am at a loss as to what to try next.
suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:Troubling problem

So he hasn't eaten anything in four weeks, absolutely nothing? That is a very long time. It seems to be a very common can Oscars, not eating. I have been through exactly the same thing. Unfortunately my large 11 inch red Oscar died yesterday. Obviously, mine was a different situation to you so don't let that worry you too much. Is your Oscar hanging round the surface much? Is he breathing okay? Ie, is the opening and closing his mouth a lot? Have you tried live food at all? You obviously have to be careful that live food can often trigger fish to feed. I assume you have tried completely different food to see what happens? Your water seems perfectly okay, nitrates are very low, they are not too high at all. The fish are very difficult to diagnose, if he is not showing any external signs of illness, it really is extremely difficult to diagnose what is wrong.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Akkaren
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Akkaren replied the topic: Re:Troubling problem

Thanks for the response.
No, he is not gasping or "yawning". He does come to the surface if I walk by. He acts normal for the most part. He seems to like to hang out in the bubbles from his bubble disk.
As I said, he does act hungry and will half heartedly beg. I have offered him pellets, frozen brine shrimp cubes, beef heart cubes, and his absolute favorite
..small chunks of thawed of prawn. I have not tried anything live. I stopped feeding earth worms because I figured they were not any better than feeding live goldfish... I don't know.
The prawns are the only thing he will even attempt to eat. He will suck it in...chew chew chew...spit it out, suck it back in, chew some more and finally spit it out and move away. After this, he ignores all other offerings until half a day later.
Out of desparation I did offer a small morsel of ground beef (raw) . He may have actually eaten that. (at least I did not witness it being spat out)
That is it.
I am leaving town in less than a week. I will be gone for 2.5 weeks. I hate the thought of him wasting away like this!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

I suppose there is the chance of an obstruction. Problem is, how can you tell? You would have to remove him from the tank to have a really good look. It can be done if you use anaesthetic, the stuff that they use on koi carp. Obviously you wouldn't want to do it yourself, it would have to be a professional, somebody knows what they're doing. You could ask your vet for some advice on what to do. My Oscar would sometimes spit bits of prawn out as well, he would not always consume the whole thing. Hopefully he is still getting some goodness from the shrimps, even though he isn't eating all of it.

I wish I had a positive answer for you. Oscars not eating is one of the most common questions that comes up. Both my Oscars did it and unfortunately they are no longer with me. Your Oscar is seven years old, that is fairly old for a fish. Oscars can live up to 10 or 15 years old, but that isn't absolutely guaranteed. Your Oscar could be compared to a pensioner I suppose. I do think you need to prepare yourself to the fact that he may be coming to the end of his life. I hope I'm wrong, four weeks is just a very long time for something to eat, a couple of days may be, but weeks is very unusual indeed.

Have you tried frozen blocks of Krill, my Oscars used to love them

• Akkaren
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Believe me, the idea that we have come to the end of the road with Huey is certainly not a new one.
I was just trying to see if some one else out there could come up with something I had not thought of.

It it still going to be a hard thing to do, but I will do what is best for him.
Thanks Penn

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Have you thought about having a word with the vet to see what their thoughts are? They may have some suggestions. I know how you feel, I am still really upset about Pandora, my four-year-old red Oscar.

Anyway, better get some sleep, good luck and keep me posted

• Akkaren
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Well, after sending off my last post, I once again offered Huey a bite of shrimp.
He ate it. It seemed to take some bit of effort....but he did eat it. I offered another but he declined.
I don't know what to think. I was going to procede with the clover oil tomorrow but now I will give him another few days. If I do not see significant improvement by Tuesday..that will be the end.
My husband is not up to dealing with this sort of thing... it needs to be dealt with before I go.
I'll try to come up with something else to temp him.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

At least he tried to eat something. I really feel for you, I know exactly how you feel. I don't know what to suggest. Is he moving around the tank perfectly okay, or does he just sit motionless for a long time? I'm just wondering whether euthanasia is the way to go if the fish is not actually showing any signs of ill-health. Is there anybody that you could call upon in two or three weeks if the fish goes downhill and you are not there? It seems a great shame to end his life if it's not necessary.

Anyway, you do what you think is best. Clove oil definitely does work. It might take a little longer than it says on the webpage but it does work. It certainly seems to put the fish to sleep very quickly, put it that way.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds