Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

• Thank you received: 0

beano replied the topic: Re:Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

all fresh water contains salt which helps gill function, if used in correct dose i.e 5ml for 25ltrs standard dose for fancy goldfish u are making the right inviroment. API make a very good salt for all freshwater fish, u have to ask ur self could the bigest fish treatment in the world get it wrong i doubt it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • OFL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

Yes, salt can on occasions be used to treat various ailments but it should not be added to a tank as a preventative, or just for the sake of it. I have never added salt to my tanks and I never will

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

beano replied the topic: Re:Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

think ur prob right, i try not keep any fish treatment in the house until im sure i need them. when i first started i used to panic treat, if i saw a fish flick in went whitespot treatment! my advise dont put anything in ur tank unless you know what ur treating.

staceymomx3 replied the topic: Re:Why You Shouldn't Use Salt

I was told to use the salt w/ every water change. For 2yrs I have put 1 tsp in each of my 2 10 gallon tanks every week (after my weekly water change) and I have had no issues. I was told the salt had a calming effect on the fish. I guess I never really looked any further into it. I have been doing this w/ my oscar for 3wks I have had him and everything is good. Now Im lost as to what to do???

• Thank you received: 2

MeghanR replied the topic: Re:Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

I found this to be interesting reading, more on the use of salt in freshwater aquaria

www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/health/salt.shtml

• jcrunk69
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

jcrunk69 replied the topic: Re:Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

MeghanR wrote:

I found this to be interesting reading, more on the use of salt in freshwater aquaria

www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/health/salt.shtml[/quote
X2 using salt to treat illness... that pretty cool. a guy at a lfs told mr=e one time that africans grow better when you keep a small amount of salt in their water...

has anybody else heard of this????

• johnnyphoenix
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24

johnnyphoenix replied the topic: Re:Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

Well, I had an outbreak of Ich a few weeks ago and followed the guidelines for treating it with salt. It went away quickly. After completing the treatment I did a water change to reduce the salinity of the water, and cleaned filters and such. It worked really well.

BadBoyBow replied the topic: Re:Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

Thanks for the information. I have always had the understanding that a bit of salt helps the over all health of the fish. It even says so on the box of salt. It looks like I will have to change my way of thinking.
Is there a way to test the salt concentration in your tank?
Thanks again for the info.

• Thank you received: 2

MeghanR replied the topic: Re:Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

funny, I read the article and concluded that salt is not good for adding to a freshwater tank, except for temporary treatment for certain ailments. guess everyone's interpretation is different:)

you can test the salinity of water with a hydrometer - an apparatus that is crucial for marine fishkeeping. you could also calculate it, i suppose by the volume of water and the the grams of salt.....

• johnnyphoenix
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24

johnnyphoenix replied the topic: Re:Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

BadBoyBow wrote:

I have always had the understanding that a bit of salt helps the over all health of the fish. It even says so on the box of salt.

Well, yeah, but I think the main gist of the article is that claims made as to salt's efficacy in promoting freshwater fish health are somewhat dubious at best. OF course they're gonna tell you it's good for the fish...they're trying to sell their product. I've found alot of products are at best somewhat useless, at worst actually detrimental. Good to have this site to help 'filter' (filter...get it? lol) through some of the B.S.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds