Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

• Thank you received: 0

debbie82 replied the topic: Re:Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

I think it depends also on what kind of fish your treating as well but I use salt with my livebearers, goldfish etc never for my oscars. Generally speaking, the amount of TDS in tap water is very very low so by adding salt it can help as a tonic to get things functioning better to help with fighting off diseases, bacteria. Seeing as though Bacteria does not like salt of cooler temperatures I like to salt and medicate my tanks at the same time and have never had a problem. I only add it when the fish need a pick up, and remember salt does not evaporate so the only way to get it out is by water change so if you just keep adding it.... your gonna harm ur fish!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnnyphoenix
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24

johnnyphoenix replied the topic: Re:Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

wildaortiz wrote:

after so many differnt treatments for my O for multiple unusual behaviors...jerking...

The best way to deal with that is to explain to him it's a normal behavior to explore one's body...essentially a part of growing up and he shouldn't be ashamed or embarrassed for it.

Tell him It's perfectly acceptable for it to occur 4-6 times a day.

Isn't it?

ISN'T it?!?! :blush:

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re:Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

This is an interesting topic, and alot of good info here. It seems that the majority here is more on the "never use salt with freshwater fish" side. I thought I would chime in with my 2 cents on the subject. I have been putting a small amount of salt in my aquariums during water-changes, about 3 times per year. My understanding was the native waters these fish lived in had an element of salt in their water, and it could help them with their scales etc in some way.

I haven't had a fish die because of it, or display any ill affects. Actually I seemed to think they reacted positively to it. But the truth is with the amount of salt that I put in, it probably filters out of much of it in a few hours.

So overall, Do I know it helps or hurts with any scientific knowledge?... No. Will I continue to use a little salt from time to time?...Probably. But alot of interesting information here, something to chew on.

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• PAUL
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

PAUL replied the topic: Re:Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

I haven't had a fish die because of it, or display any ill affects. Actually I seemed to think they reacted positively to it. But the truth is with the amount of salt that I put in, it probably filters out of much of it in a few hours.

salt never evaporate... and can not be remove by filtration alone. you need
to replace the water to gradually remove the salt.

for my stand, you can go back to this post.
www.oscarfishlover.com/oscar-fish-advice-forum/13-the-oscar-fish/64167-why-you-shouldnt-use-salt-for-freshwater-fish#64243

BakaMandy replied the topic: Re:Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

Wow, this post was very useful! I didn't know salt could be so harmful :S It would explain some of the problems I've been having with my bettas despite how well I treat them.

I've been in the betta community for a while and they seem to encourage the over use of salt to treat everything and prevent diseases, so I've always used it. I'm going to only use it now only when it's absolutely necessary, probably for things such as salt dips. D: Thank you for this!

• mylutino
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My reality check bounced!
  • Thank you received: 1

mylutino replied the topic: Re:Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

I personally agree that salt is useful for certain things, like during ich treatment since it can be used to draw fluids out of pop eye as well. But we use epsom or rock/kosher/aquarium salt for varios illnesses.. But I am not sure epsom fits in the category since it is magnesium sulfate and the rock salt we use is the same as iodized table salt, but lacks the anti-caking ingredients and iodine (obviously).

I will never use salt as a 'tonic' and have heard that MANY people do this, but I think if you salt a tank all the time, then you need a SALT water aquarium. I think its best if used in moderation for certain problems, but not all the time. I would rather use salt if I could as opposed to some harsh med.

I guess its in the same category in my book as carbon, use it for a purpose but leave it out.

Parrotman32 replied the topic: Re:Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

That is a Very helpfull topic that you discussed. I love my Two Oscars very much and have had them since they were tiny. I have allways added aquariam salt to all my aquariams because I thought it helped them. Thanks to you I will not do this anymore. I figure I will remove the salt during water changes and it will eventually all be out of the tank. Thank you so much.
Brad

• mylutino
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My reality check bounced!
  • Thank you received: 1

mylutino replied the topic: Re:Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

it will be gone soon, just continue to do good vacuums an water changes, with this it will become less and less potent. I think its great for somethings, but I am sure u read that above. We all have questions about our fish, good thing u read about it here, very helpful people on this board!!!

jimw/oscar replied the topic: Re:Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

Parrotman32 wrote:

That is a Very helpfull topic that you discussed. I love my Two Oscars very much and have had them since they were tiny. I have allways added aquariam salt to all my aquariams because I thought it helped them. Thanks to you I will not do this anymore. I figure I will remove the salt during water changes and it will eventually all be out of the tank. Thank you so much.
Brad

Yeah I used to put salt in my oscar tanks too per what I was told by an alleged expert working at a lfs. I wouldn't even use it for ich anymore though I haven't had a case of that in over a decade (probably cuz I've kept just one oscar alone not adding any other fish not even feeders).

jwright replied the topic: Re: Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

Some people use salt for the fresh water fish from many time and there is no effect because it is depend upon the usage.The table salt is wrong kind of salt for the fresh water fish. The best salt is that you buy from the aquatics store and this salt can only be used in the freshwater tanks.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds