Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Re: Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

i am not aware that ketapang leave (terminalia catappa) is used to calm down fish... what i know is that the tree used to host million of hairy itchy caterpillar once a year... it is known as TALISAY tree in my place...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• christina21maria
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

christina21maria replied the topic: Re: Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

to know much more about visit on this URL
www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/disease-prevention/salt-freshwater-fish.aspx

I hope this can help you !
*Edit by Admin* Please don't promote other sites while on this site.

• Thank you received: 1

warlac replied the topic: Re: Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

this is really a good information and i think this is something that oscar lovers can really use in maintaining their freshwater pets. i think that slat may not be good for oscars only when taken in excess, if you do want to put some salt in it maybe for tonic of for curing certain diseases as long as you have extensively researched this or it works for you based on experience then your fish might be able to handle this and metabolize salt in their system, really depends on the kidney clearance rate of your pet

• Thank you received: 0

aaronblove replied the topic: Re: Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

You can change Oscars to salt water and it will not kill them. You have to gradually add unionized salt or "sea salt." Don't believe me try it. This experiment will take about a year to finish :-)

• RoxyTheDog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Love your Pets.
  • Thank you received: 166

RoxyTheDog replied the topic: Re: Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

Hmm ok, well mine are happy in fresh water so i think i`ll leave them in there :huh:

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

aaronblove wrote: You can change Oscars to salt water and it will not kill them. You have to gradually add unionized salt or "sea salt." Don't believe me try it. This experiment will take about a year to finish :-)

...right up until their organs shut down. Don't go there. These are fresh water fish. It's called homeostasis. Look it up.

• tigathecool
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • i luv my O
  • Thank you received: 3

tigathecool replied the topic: Re:Why You Shouldn't Use Salt

OK.... This might have been answered earlier i just skipped the pages lol,

I have seen '' aquarium Salt '' In my local fish store, i asked

'' Is it the same as the salt I have on my shelter ? ''
I got the answer '' NO ! '' LOL,

Well they told me, that since I'm raising guppies, i should add a little salt.

I wonder... Is that true ??? Aren't guppies tropical fish ? And samething for mollies ... ???

A little help here xD

The Oscar`s name is : Nemesis

The Pleco`s name is : Mr. Clean

And if you bother one of them i will do whats called :

Beating you up untill you eat youre goldfishes, RAW

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:Why You Shouldn't Use Salt

No you dont need salt for guppies.

• Thank you received: 22

toni-a replied the topic: Re: Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

Allow me as a novice to give my humble opinion.
Well I don't routinely use salt however after an itch outbreak in the community tank I used it for couple of days with temperature raise, it saved the rest of the fish in the tank :)

Also I don't think salt affects cycling, After cycling my aquarium with feeder goldfish the last days before adding the green terrors I added plenty of salt just as an antiseptic for parasites, kept the salt for 2 days with no fish inside, then did a 100% water change twice added the green terrors,all worked like a charm.
So my opinion there's no point using salt on routine basis, howver when needed it can be handy :)

• SemiExperiencedJason
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

SemiExperiencedJason replied the topic: Re: Why You Shouldn't Use Salt For Freshwater Fish

This is astounding! I used to have a 10 gallon tank years ago when I was about 14 and had my fish for what seemed a lifetime until one fateful night I fell asleep with the heater on :/
I've never used salt until these days. I've had nothing but problems with my fish since I've started using it. I'm going to stop now! My ammonia levels are OUT OF CONTROL! It all makes sense now!
But, if it ruins the bacteria in your filter, have I even cycled? I must have an angel on my side because my fish are still kicking around (not too much some days... they look stressed and tired sometimes among other things).
I'm worried that I have NO good bacteria at all in my tank. My nitrites and nitrates have ALWAYS been zero. It's been over two months and the only thing that spiked was my ammonia (most likely from the d*** salt).
I did a 50% water change today and didn't add any salt. What do you think my next move should be?
Please and Thank You!
: )

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds