CORNER filters are great!!!

• c_etude
  • c_etude's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

c_etude created the topic: CORNER filters are great!!!

I found it's much eaiser to clean the oscar tank *not* using any kind of gravel or sand. Let's face it--they are poo factories. I sincerely believe even ONE oscar the poo load is enormous.

I use a large bore tubing to suction the water out--the size of a garden hose. You can get plastic tubing like that any hardware store. Then I got a funnel--and there are types with varying degrees and I but the actual large round part, I cut it quite flat (even all sides) so it sucks out lots of poo quickly (since there is no sand or gravel--no worries about sucking those things up!)

To secure it REAL good use aquarium sealent to totally seal up the funnel with the tubing. AWESOME sweeper! But it sucks out a LOT of water in a short time.

Well, sand/gravel DOES store bacteria but since the oscar poos so much, I compensate by using several corner filters. I weigh it down with a few large river stones (boiled and sterilized prior to using). Put the rest with filter floss and never change it. It will turn BLACK in a VERY SHORT TIME!! These ferment bacteria like crazy! Sometimes you will have to clean off the tubing but maybe once every six months you may wish to replace just HALF of the filter floss. Generally you don't need to do this--but the tubing does need occasional cleaning from the sooty bacteria.

Further since these are full of bacteria, if you should ever have to terminally clean your tank, it will start recycling like really quick. Because you have these wonderful pumps full of bacteria.

You can use them with canister or huge over the tank filters, but nothing can be simplier for bacteria banks than these simple cool old fashsioned corner filters!

I love them! With a 55 gallon tank you may just need one, but with 125 gallons you need about 2 or 3 of them--get them for large aquariusm (REMEMBER THESE ARE JUST A SUPPLEMENT FOR YOUR MAIN FILTERING SERVICES such as cannister or over the top filter).

With sufficient quantities of bacteria you won't need charcoal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re:CORNER filters are great!!!

I assume you are talking about the underwater filters, such as the Fluval 4? Probably is a good idea to keep an extra filter running somewhere just in case. I probably will do the same when I get my new tank. I am keeping my 125 gallon tank and I'll probably run a couple of extra small filters and side that. I do mention something similar to this somewhere on the site.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• c_etude
  • c_etude's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

c_etude replied the topic: Re:CORNER filters are great!!!

Actually, not the Fluval but it probably works similarly. These are REAL old fashioned called "corner filters," also known as "box filters". They are kind of hard to find, but they are dirt cheap, very simple...but you put floss in there (weighed down by sterilized stones) it turns black REAL fast. Obviously bacteria love these simple things. They fell out of popularity due to "they are so ugly" and many people don't like the bubbling sounds (powered by an ordinary air pump), but I think you can't beat them when it comes to bacteria.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds