50 gallon for one Oscar

• aquaholic
  • aquaholic's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

aquaholic created the topic: 50 gallon for one Oscar

Hello guys, I have a tank. The measurments of the tank is 40x16x16. This is probably the biggest tank I can have and I'm sick after an Oscar cichlid. The tank I have now fits my bench perfect and a standard 55 gallon would be to long. I don't have enough space and cash for a bigger tank so I hopes that this tank is ok for ONE SINGLE OSCAR! It would of course be a bare tank. It is 2 inch of gravel in there now. Should I take it out? I'm prepared for water changes once in a week and my filter would be a 6-7X canister. Icould have my fluval 4+ in there as well but i know that would take some worthful space and it isn't really a good filter for tanks over 30 gallons.

So my question is: Will it work to hava an Oscar in my 40x16x16 tank?? Please...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:50 gallon for one Oscar

Welcome to the forum

40 x 16 x 16 is around 35 gallons UK. Unfortunately, that really isn't big enough for one Oscar. I have got one of filters you talk about and I have to be honest with you, it really wouldn't be adequate enough to deal with an adult Oscar.

We are not into lecturing people on here so it would be up to you whether you go ahead with this project or not. All we are saying is that your tank is not big enough and we would not recommend it. There is one fish that you could have and they are really lovely little cichlids. In fact, they are very similar to Oscars in their mannerisms. That is a jade eyed Cichlid. They are absolutely lovely. I have one and it follows my finger when I put it in front of the tank. My Oscars don't do that. These cichlids only reach about 6 inches so you could have one of those a few smaller tankmates., maybe a couple of pictus catfish. If you go to the tankmates Gallery, you will see one of these cichlids. If you got one, you would not regret it, I promise you that. If you go to videos, you can see mine in action.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• aquaholic
  • aquaholic's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

aquaholic replied the topic: Re:50 gallon for one Oscar

Okay so we are speaking UK gallons...
I found out that I will buy a 3 inch Oscar and let it in the 35 gallon for a half year or so before I add it intoa 55 gallon

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: Re:50 gallon for one Oscar

Yes, UK gallons. If you buy the Oscar at around 2 inches or 3 inches then you probably could get away with it. But you would have to definitely purchase a larger tank within the year.

Joliet Jake replied the topic: Re:50 gallon for one Oscar

That's about a 44 Gallon (US) capacity or 37 Gallon (UK) capacity and not the worst situation for one young growing Oscar to be in. But I agree you will need to upgrade in less then one year probably closer to 6 months into it.

I am curious though about your aquarium's size and dimensions. (You stated 40" X 16" X 16 ") and that seems kind of odd ball as most aquariums are built to certain specs, especially smaller capacity ones under 150 Gallons. Was this aquarium custom built by somebody? 40" long is an odd length as aquariums usually are either 24", 30", 36" or 48" in length.
Same with the width as most are either 12", 18" or 24" wide? Is this in the USA or UK?

I've got two smaller Oscars currently in a 37 that is 30" long X 12" wide X 23 high and soon will be moving into a 75 gallon tank (next month or sooner, just as soon as it cycles). Currently they are fine and have plenty of swim room although may be taxing the filter and water a tad. At some point I am convinced that I will need to upgrade again to a 125 after I can convince my better half that it is a necessity.. (looking at these two smaller fish right now would be a hard sell, even for a salesman!)

Ken, 51, NJ-USA (2 Tiger Oscars)
Need to give away one healthy 1 year old Oscar if you know of anyone interested. See the adoption thread for photos. Thanks!

c_etude replied the topic: Re:50 gallon for one Oscar

MY FORMER OSCAR LIVED IN A 55 gallon aquarium. He committed suicide. He kept on banging his head against the glass AND the top lights so violently huge chunks of his flesh littered the tank floor. I'm really suprised my fish tank didn't burst from all of that banging. Needless to say it died. I firmly believe a 55 gallon tank IS NOT ENOUGH ROOM for a single oscar. This fish WILL grow 12 to 14 inches. I know all the books say it's enough, but trust me it's not. I think a 75 gallon tank is absolutely minimum.

Now I have a friend who had an oscar in a 55 gallon tank and it lived about 5 years.

But these fish grow huge you can't help but to feel sorry for it being in such a cramped tank as a 55 gallon.

Joliet Jake replied the topic: Re:50 gallon for one Oscar

c_etude wrote:

MY FORMER OSCAR LIVED IN A 55 gallon aquarium. He committed suicide. He kept on banging his head against the glass AND the top lights so violently huge chunks of his flesh littered the tank floor. I'm really suprised my fish tank didn't burst from all of that banging.

c_etude,

Fish don't commit suicide. All Oscars bang against the glass and injure themselves on occasion by jumping against the top of the aquarium and that has little to do with aquarium size and nothing to do with the fish wanting to hurt himself, much less kill himself. The banging is quite normal. Don't believe me? Dont feed them on time or skip a feeding and watch the glass banging begin. I admire your posting persistence about recommending proper aquarium size but that is a totally seperate issue from the normal Oscar behavior.

Can I suggest that you fill out your profile and add a signature so we know your first name etc?

Ken, 51, NJ-USA (2 Tiger Oscars)
Need to give away one healthy 1 year old Oscar if you know of anyone interested. See the adoption thread for photos. Thanks!

gweisner replied the topic: Beef Heart Feeding

As I've mentioned the past week or so, I have two small Tigers which have begun to acclimate to their new tank very well. They have already figured out I feed them and respond as you would expect. I haven't been able to get them to eat floating pellet food, however, and have better (great) success with plain shrimp (suitable for Humans) pieces some of which I dripped vitamins on. I know this would not constitue an appropriate long term diet, so I decided to try the Beef Heart receipe because of the vegetable component. I also decided to use a receipe which is similiar to that found on this website, but also included Chicken liver, peas, carrots, spinach and GARLIC. I mixed it up last night ( it kinda looked and smelled like meatballs with spinach becuase of the garlic, two whole cloves!!) and left it overnight in the freezer. This morning I tried it for the first time and Walaa!! They loved it as much as the shrimp. Only thing is that it's much more messy in the sense that all the meat components get swallowed while some of the of other smaller items (spinach, etc.) gets washed out their gills into the tank. I don't think this will be problematic however if I keep up with weekly water changes. I have two questions, Can I use this "meatball mix" as their staple and has anyone else fed their darlings GARLIC ???

George

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: Re:Beef Heart Feeding

Can I please ask you not to start new subjects on the back of other threads? This post also belongs in "the Oscar section" forum. thx :)

You should avoid giving your fish chicken liver. Chicken liver is very high in cholesterol and it can also accumulate chemicals

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds