Mopani Wood

• gweisner
  • gweisner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

gweisner created the topic: Mopani Wood

My mopani wood has begun to grow these long stringy things. Additionally, there appears to be these whiteish patches growing on the wood surface as well. Is this something to be concerned with. The tank has only been set up for three weeks. All water tests are right on the mark and my fish appear unaffected. Should I take this wood out ??

George

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re:Mopani Wood

Haven't had no problems with my mopani wood. The white fuzzy stuff is probably some kind of fungus. I wouldn't have thought that it is a problem but I'm not in a position to be absolutely sure. Before adding any wood to your tank, you should soak it for a while. This can often and eliminates any horrible stuff. The stringy bits could have something to do with decomposition If you are worried, take the wood out and give it a good scrub and then put it back in again.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 0

Joliet Jake replied the topic: Re:Mopani Wood

I hadn't heard the term "Mopani Wood" before and I had to go "google" it to see what it was you two were talking about.
Here in the States it's just referred to as "Driftwood".

Of course, that covers a wide variety of woods, some more authentic then others.. The good stuff will turn your water tea colored for awhile and help add to the acidity and softness level too and is often sought after for Discus tanks etc. Mostly though here you find weathered woods annchored to a piece of slate to help it sink in a tank of water.

Ken, 51, NJ-USA (2 Tiger Oscars)
Need to give away one healthy 1 year old Oscar if you know of anyone interested. See the adoption thread for photos. Thanks!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re:Mopani Wood

It is found in the Amazon/or Africa, not sure. . You can also get mopani root which in its natural form is always submerged which is why it is very good for tanks, doesn't float to the surface like bogwood can. I have got both in my tank. The problem with bogwood is can turn your water to a funny colour, resembling tea without the milk. That's why I don't like that kind of stuff. The bogwood I've got has been used for years and years in someone else's tank so it doesn't stain the water anymore. In fact, it was outside for a few years before coming into my possession so that was even better.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds