High Flow filtration

• Joliet Jake
  • Joliet Jake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Joliet Jake created the topic: High Flow filtration

My test post from using Photo Bucket as a photo host.
This is a 75 gallon US tank during todays water change.
My daughter is holding the water python as I took photos.
This is over 800 GPH flow via 4 large bio wheels and 1 canister in the middle.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb245/jolietjake6/HighFlowfiltration.jpg?t=1180810247

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb245/jolietjake6/python1.jpg?t=1180810683

You do get much better suction through the vacuum hose by simply dropping it out a second floor window (almost too fast an evacuation which you can control by metering the hose with the shut off valve) but you can get adequate suction using the faucet pump as supplied too. Poor water pressure will result in less vacuum but I have been able to totally shut off the running tap water and contine to drain a tank via the python alone, just with simple gravity (Yes, it is slow going though.) I happen to have a septic system (no public sewers) so I try to avoid putting all this grey water down the septic tank if possible. I run it out the window to the lawn below.. (It will work out a first floor window too, as long as the hose outlet is lower then the tank level, it will drain.)

Ken, 51, NJ-USA (2 Tiger Oscars)
Need to give away one healthy 1 year old Oscar if you know of anyone interested. See the adoption thread for photos. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Re:High Flow filtration

Good post, and with photos, I find it really easy to understand things when photos are included, we should try and do a lot more of it on here.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Joliet Jake
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Joliet Jake replied the topic: Re:High Flow filtration

In the future, I plan to add some "how to's" in photo sequence, showing how to do certain things. I'll start with a water python and vacuum maybe. Unless I can figure out how to use my camera for a short video clip.

Need to give away one healthy 1 year old Oscar if you know of anyone interested. See the adoption thread for photos. Thanks!

Jaysen_sd replied the topic: Re:High Flow filtration

I think the hardest part is using the gravel vac on sand. Just gotta make sure you have it low enough to get the bad stuff, but high enough not to suck all the sand.

• Joliet Jake
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Penn also is probably an expert at dealing with sand etc. (In fact, he has a video on line here about cleaning sand with a python). I myself have very little gravel now, with maybe half the tank bottom having a light single layer of it. I like the fact you can actually lift gravel half way up the python vacuum tube and watch it swirl around, seperating out all the dirt and debris and then lift the tube to let the gravel slide back down and out. My gravel is a tad heavier too because it's bigger but it's also got soft rounder edges which I like for Oscars since they do "mouth it" once in a while. In my opinion, the water vacuum was one of the best inventions to fishkeeping. It had made doing water changes and tank maintenance like a "simple science" rather then a dreaded chore and because of such, I feel people will be less inclined to procrastinate about routine tank maintenance.

Jaysen_sd replied the topic: Re:High Flow filtration

I think the vaccuming sand video is how I found out about this site lol. But yeah I switched to sand for the big tank. My O's decided it was fun to pick up the larger gravel pieces I had in thier old tank and spit it at the glass when they were hungry or thought it was time for them to be fed. Was quite amusing, but I think I like the overall look of sand much better than the gravel.

Bangerang103 replied the topic: Re:High Flow filtration

JJ is that a real good filtration system I have an Aqua clear 70, and is it loud?

Matt 19, Long Island NY!
tank setup, 3 weeks count down! (june 3rd)

FOUND INFO sorry!

but should I upgrade to that :o!

Matt 19, Long Island NY!

• Joliet Jake
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Here is what I see your filter is rated for:
Aquaclear 70

typical sizes
20 (formerly mini)- up to 10 gal
30 (formerly 150)- 10 gal
50 (formerly 200)- 10-30 gal
70 (formerly 300)- 30-55 gal
110 (formerly 500)- 55-100 gal

Now remember two things. First, Filters are generally over-rated so really this current filter is good for closer to the 30 gallon tank, not really the 55, Second, with keeping Oscars, you really almost need twice the recommended filtration and flow rates for your aquarium. With community type tanks, you should aim for about 4-5 times water turn over but with Oscars, you need 5-6 times bare minimum and 7-8 times is better yet. So, I definitely feel you will need to add supplemental filtration to your 55 to help out that Aquaclear 70.

Good choices would be a big cannister filter or a hang on back (H.O.B.) Bio Wheel type filter such as the Marineland Emporer 400 which I happen to like although H.O.B.s tend to be a tad noisy compared to Canister filter. Right now you can get a great deal on a Marineland C series cannister filter at www.petmountain.com The complete Marineland hood I have is available to fit a 55 too and the model number is simply 600 for a 55. That should cost you about $299 to buy but it is complete with lighting, full hood and excellent large bio wheels with 600 GPH flow. The 600 hood is quiet, similar to a cannister filter and easy to work on the tank too with this hood on.

alright so that might be my next expense! after the tank is cycled? or would it be best to do that now?

Matt 19, Long Island NY!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds