High Flow filtration

• Joliet Jake
  • Joliet Jake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Joliet Jake replied the topic: Re:High Flow filtration

The new filter will need a few weeks to get biologically established too. I'd say do it as soon as possible, but it's not an emergency. Waiting will not hurt anything because your tank will be empty for at least a month anyway but the sooner the new filter gets established (like the existing filter) the better.

If it were me, I'd take advantage of that sale I mentioned below, order the C-series cannister and wait a few days/ week to get it. Thats a really nice deal there and I did get one for myself. Buy the biggest you can afford. (Or go for the Emporer 400 then.) IF you do buy that cannister, leave the carbon bags out of it. Pick up some other coarse media like bio balls or eheim media to fill that basket up with biological media instead.

P.S. Spend at least $150 there and you'll get free shipping too, Remember you do need a water vacuum etc.

Ken, 51, NJ-USA (2 Tiger Oscars)
Need to give away one healthy 1 year old Oscar if you know of anyone interested. See the adoption thread for photos. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bangerang103 replied the topic: Re:High Flow filtration

that emperor 400 is cheaper then mine its alot better? money is not a prob i want a filter that is very quiet. and very good!

Matt 19, Long Island NY!
tank setup, 3 weeks count down! (june 3rd)

• Joliet Jake
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

The Emporer 400 is superior to your current filter, because of the "Bio-Wheel" wet / dry technology and the Emporer 400 is rated for about 400GPH flow.

However these filters tend to be a tad noisier then cannister filters, especially because they are exposed at the top of the tank, hanging on the back. If noise is a real concern / requirement, then consider the Cannister filter instead, or buy the complete 600 hood instead and you won't need your existing filter.

That Marineland C-220 Cannister for $100 would make a nice filter for your 55, if you intend to keep your existing filter too. I have the C-220 running on my tank now.

Need to give away one healthy 1 year old Oscar if you know of anyone interested. See the adoption thread for photos. Thanks!

Bangerang103 replied the topic: Re:High Flow filtration

damn that must be the best 400 bones not bad, im gonna go talk to my LPS guy, he orders some stuff see if maybe he can order that for me for a cheaper price first!

Matt 19, Long Island NY!
tank setup, 3 weeks count down! (june 3rd)

• Joliet Jake
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

The Hood? be sure its the one with standard lighting as there are high output light model units available. It should cost you no more then $300. You onlt need standard lighting and even at that, I unscrewed one bulb in mine as its too bright.

• Joliet Jake
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Be careful with local LFS guys because many are not that knowledgable and many want (and try) to convince you to BUY what they have on their shelf. They are "salesmen" first and foremost.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds