Help with filter part how do i put this together?

• Gaarakilla19
  • Gaarakilla19's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29

Gaarakilla19 created the topic: Help with filter part how do i put this together?

Leading up from this thread oscarfishlover.com/forum/14-tanks-filtration-heating-etc/303083-help-with-cleaning-used-aquarium-stuff-with-pics , how do i put this piece together what way is correct?
and all n bout to run this bad boy , also does all look good for water n vinegar mixture???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Help with filter part how do i put this together?

Magnet goes down, and should seat into a plastic cylinder just above the motor. If that is a 55 then you are going to need a second filter. I have never used vinegar to clean a tank, just warm water and elbow grease, but it looks like you are 90% there already. Best of luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gaarakilla19

• Gaarakilla19
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Gaarakilla19 replied the topic: Help with filter part how do i put this together?

i got it off craigslist hasnt been used in months and not too sure what your talkin bout but ill try to piece it together liek u say

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Help with filter part how do i put this together?

Purple up (impeller) grey down (magnet). You should see a hole in the middle of the filter that matches the diameter of the magnet, if you shove the impeller side into the intake tube and then insert that assembly into the center of the filter you should be ready to go. Add water to the filter before starting, and the motor will do the rest. It may take a minute for it to establish a siphon, but you should see water overflowing the outlets in short order.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Help with filter part how do i put this together?

The magnet side (grey) should be the bottom, and go in first into the filter. Then put the tube on top of the purple part.

• Gaarakilla19
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Gaarakilla19 replied the topic: Help with filter part how do i put this together?

thanks guys got it up n runnin, how many days u say to let it soak? 4?

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Help with filter part how do i put this together?

Just FYI....you are gonna need a MUCH better filter than that old Whisper if you want to keep an Oscar.......I would say at least a Fluval C4 or an Emperor 400.....Whisper is an OK mechanical filter, but you will need efficient, superior biological filtration, & that's not something the Whisper offers.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Gaarakilla19
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

yes i know i need a canister filter ;o or bio media, but its not necessary for a baby oscar atm right? mine is only like 2.5 -3 inch hes gettin bigger tho

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Help with filter part how do i put this together?

Well, since baby Oscars ( & yours is a juvenile, BTW) defecate, urinate, & respirate just like any other fish, yes, you need it. Why would you think it wouldn't?

The 2 filters I mentioned are HOB's, just like the Whisper, & can be purchased for around $50.

Based on your statement, I think you need to get a firm grasp on how the nitrogen cycle works. You will have little success if you don't understand these principles.

Here's an article from this site:

www.oscarfishlover.com/how-to-cycle-a-tank

I would also STRONGLY recommend you obtain this book:

"The Cichlid Aquarium" by Dr. P.V. Loiselle

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Gaarakilla19
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

does the ammonia in a bottle work? also how long would it take

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds