Two for one ?

• Jonpaulr88
  • Jonpaulr88's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Jonpaulr88 created the topic: Two for one ?

I'm taking on the task of upgrading to a 120 gallon tank from a 55 gallon i'm doing a lot of research on canister filters they are some what costly so my question is will two 90 gallon hang on filters work the same as one canister filter for a 120 G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Two for one ?

A canister offers far better bio filtration than an hob. They are quieter and less maintenance, you may only have to open and clean 2-3 times a year. I do have a 120 g filtered with 2 Aquaclear 110's. Tank has a single 10in cichlid. I change a lot of water, around 75% every 3-4 days. I clean the sponges on average every 6 weeks. With an aggressive water change ritual, 2 big hob's do a good job. The ideal configuration would be a medium canister and large hob. My tank sits on the floor and I dont have the room or height requirement for a canister.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Two for one ?

You are entering into the realms of fairly large aquariums which require lots of filtration. If you're going to the trouble of installing such a large aquariums then don't skimp when it comes to filtration. A 120 gallon aquarium is big enough for two Oscars, but you will definitely need excellent filtration. I would urge you to opt for the canister type filters as these will give you the filtration you need for this big aquarium

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Two for one ?

I wouldn't recommend HOBs as the only source of filtration for tanks above 60g, with more than 1 large 10-12" cichlid.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds