Aquaripure denitrator

• Goranothos
  • Goranothos's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 158

Goranothos created the topic: Aquaripure denitrator

aquaripure.com/

I've been curious about these since I started my 150 gallon oscar tank about a year ago. So today, I finally took the plunge and ordered the Large Aquaripure nitrate filter.

www.aquaripure.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=53

I would rather have ordered the "Big Kahuna", but it is too tall to fit underneath my tank stand.

The filter I ordered is supposed to be equivalent to one 90 gallon water change a week. I am currently doing two 50% water changes a week in my 150 gallon tank, and that is barely sufficient to keep nitrates below 40ppm. My tap water has around 10ppm nitrates.

My goal with the Aquaripure filter is to hopefully reduce my water change schedule to one 50-75% water change per week. I have no illusions that my water change schedule will be reduced beyond that.

I currently have two filters in this tank. The first is a Rena XP4, which is my main filter. This filter alone should be sufficient for my tank volume and bioload. The second filter is an Eheim 2213, which I have mostly been using as an experiment with Chemi Pure Elite. My plan is to remove this filter and replace it with the Aquaripure.

For the benefit of the users of this forum, I plan to post my experiences with the Aquaripure filter here in this thread.

Is it "snake oil" or does it actually work to remove nitrates to some degree?

Again, I have NO PLANS to discontinue water changes. The best I hope for is reducing them to once a week.

I'll be using an API liquid master test kit for all my nitrate measurements.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Aquaripure denitrator

I have no doubt that it works, but the concern that i have is the waste that comes out of it. will you be fitler the water with a micron cartridge before it enters the denitrator? Look at our canisters, it always has brown mulm and other waste that builds up over time.

• Goranothos
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Goranothos replied the topic: Aquaripure denitrator

Rocksor wrote: I have no doubt that it works, but the concern that i have is the waste that comes out of it. will you be fitler the water with a micron cartridge before it enters the denitrator? Look at our canisters, it always has brown mulm and other waste that builds up over time.

Nope, I'm going to set it up per the manufacturer's instructions. I understand your concerns, and will address them with the manufacturer. Perhaps it can lead to improvements in the future.

Like I said, I do not plan to discontinue water changes, only (hopefully) reduce them. I still plan to continue with at least a once a week 50-75% water change, as well as my regular XP4 filter service.

Let's keep an open mind and see how it goes.

I plan to report all results here and to do once a week nitrate measurements throughout the process. This is not only for my benefit, but for the benefit of the OFL community.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Aquaripure denitrator

i would measure the TDS levels as well as PH of the aquarium, in fact, I would measure TDS levels right now prior to using it. Sure that nitrates go down, but if TDS levels keep rising, then the cost benefit of the device may go down with regards to South American fishes. Measure the Ph coming out of it as well.

Read up on Sosban Fach's denitrator.

• Goranothos
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Good point on the TDS. I will measure that when I do the weekly Nitrate measurement, which will be prior to a water change, when the Nitrates should be at their highest.

I'll measure Ph weekly also, although I'm not overly concerned about lowering my Ph too much. My tap water is very alkaline.

Yea, I did read Sosban's thread.

• Goranothos
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Received it about an hour ago and got it set up.

• Goranothos
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Update.

My Aquaripure Large was installed on 5/29/14.

I've had to adjust the flow rate daily because it seems to slow down throughout the day from the optimal (for my tank) 8 drops per second to 4 drops per second.

Tomorrow I plan to inject nutrient for the first time. Aquaripure included in my order a 4 ounce bottle of their Carbon Energy Nutrient, and that is what I plan to use until it is gone. After that, I plan to use inexpensive Vodka.

Today, I went ahead and did my usual 50% water change (my habit has been to do two 50% water changes Wednesday and Saturday or Sunday). My hope is that the Aquaripure will help me reduce water changes to once a week, but the sheer amount of feces produced by my Plecostomus and Oscar may make that difficult.....or I may have to find another means of vacuuming poop that doesn't mean draining a significant amount of tank water.

Stay tuned.

• Goranothos
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Injected 15ml of nutrient today with no difficulties at all. The injection port makes it very easy.

Here is a video put out by the manufacturer regarding setting up a new Aquaripure:

• Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach replied the topic: Aquaripure denitrator

Just found this thread.

Welcome to the de-nitrator club Goranothos.

Slightly different instructions for set up with mine. It says to fill the filter with water, keep the flow contol valve closed so its not drawing any water from the tank and feed with nitrate fluid for three days. On the third day open the tap at an extremly low flow rate.

The NFP509 only uses 11ml per day of the fluid they supply at maximun flow.

Flow rate reduction is caused by the inflow pipe blocking and build up of gunk inside the filter. If you used clear airline tube you might start to find algae growing inside it fairly soon. Iv'e used a black airline hose, even with this the flow seems to slow over time. A micron filters to get around this make sense; i'd expect not only would the flow be more relaible, but the filter would improve efficeiny and require cleaning out less often.

Vodka RO mix is working really well for me. Definatly worth switching. Injecting the feed everyday means your filter might die when your going away. I picked up a cheap doseing pump to pump the feed in periodically. Highly recomend one. It allows for smaller doses more often, which also increases the filters efficeny.

• Goranothos
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Hi Sosban. Thanks for the comments.

The Aquaripure manual says to only inject the nutrient once or twice a week, 15ml in the case of the Large filter I purchased. I injected nutrient late yesterday, and today the tank water is slightly cloudy, so it definitely kickstarted a bacterial bloom.

Aquaripure supplies all the tubing, and it is larger diameter than standard aquarium airline tubing. A quick measurement makes it to be 1/4" inner diameter.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds