Basement Tank

• Goranothos
  • Goranothos's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 158

Goranothos created the topic: Basement Tank

Hi. I may have had another thread about this sometime in the past year or so, but I can't find it, so I'm starting this one, since I have found a new resolve, thanks to Jack's recent Dovii postings.

This is the space in question, in my basement:

There is room for a seven foot tank between the patio door and the wooden door. I am soon going to start pricing a Perfecto/Marineland standard 265 gallon tank (84"x24"x30"). Concrete floor, so weight not a problem. As you can see, there is an AC outlet right in the middle.

Stand will probably be painted cinder blocks and plywood.

Looking forward to this already, but first steps will be for me to build the stand, and find a way to buy the tank and get it on the stand. Already installed a basement laundry sink.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Basement Tank

Yes indeed, you must have a 265! Weighs 400lbs dry, Doug. Took six men to get mine through one door and down 7 steps, then on the stand.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Basement Tank

Awesome doug. Cant wait to see what goes in there. Have you looked into 300dd 72x36 ?

• Goranothos
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Goranothos replied the topic: Basement Tank

@ Dave: Yea, why waste that space with a smaller tank, right? A pickup truck or van can pull right up to my patio, so we would only have to carry it perhaps fifteen feet or so and no stairs. I'm thinking four men can probably do it. Thinking about investing in some of those heavy duty suction cups designed for moving furniture. You ever use those?

@ Frank: 300dd 72x36......not sure what you mean there. I suppose you mean a 6 foot x 3 foot tank? That would be a possibility, but I assume longer is better for cichlids, and I have the space for a seven foot tank there (or even an eight foot tank).

Not that I know but maybe the width would give you some different options. Say rays or a cool catfish plus cichlids. My son and I are catfish junkies.

What are you gonna stock it with ?

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Basement Tank

The 265g is one of my favorite when it comes to show tanks. Having a tall tank now (210g) for some years Im actually tired of the deeper tanks when it comes to maintenance. If you have the room for an 8 footer a 240g would be an easier tank when it comes to maintenance.

• Goranothos
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

@ Frank Not sure about stocking yet. I probably won't make the final decision until the tank is in place and has water in it. Jack's recent postings about a Dovii make having one very tempting, but I have a lot of trouble with brown algae here and my common Pleco does an outstanding job of scrubbing the inside of the tank . I would hate to have a tank without a Pleco, but I imagine an ill tempered Dovii wouldn't tolerate even a Pleco. May go with a JD, some other big cichlid, a Pleco, and move my SDs down there (and buy a few more).

@DMD123 You make a good point about tall tanks and ease of maintenance. I don't see the 8 foot 240 gallon listed in the PDF I have of Perfecto/Marineland standard rectangular aquariums. What manufacturer makes the 240 as a standard tank, and what are the dimensions?

Depending on the quotes I get from my local fish stores, I may just go with Glasscages again. They have a 96x30x25 300 gallon. The thing that sucks for me ordering from them is that I have to pay Tennessee sales tax (edit: of course I just realized that if I order through a LFS I'm going to be paying sales tax regardless). Also, their closest drop point is a 200 mile round trip from me. Their curbside shipping is exorbitant, and I probably will never do that again. Their warranty also sucks, but I can't fault the quality of their workmanship, judging by the 150 I bought from them.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Basement Tank

Goranothos wrote: @DMD123 You make a good point about tall tanks and ease of maintenance. I don't see the 8 foot 240 gallon listed in the PDF I have of Perfecto/Marineland standard rectangular aquariums. What manufacturer makes the 240 as a standard tank, and what are the dimensions?

Ive seen the 240g on Craigslist a couple times in glass and am trying to find a manufacturer myself. The dimensions are 96 x 24 x 24. I have found it in acrylic but not a big fan. I have a 72g bowfront acrylic and not happy with how easily it scratches and it gets a gross film on the inside that my two other glass tanks dont seem to develop.

The 300 you mentioned with the 96x 30 x 25 footprint is a nice size that would allow for a ton of possibilities in stock. That would be a size I would love.

Cant see devoting 1 tank that big to one fish (not a big dovii fan)

I would love to do a vieja/paraneetroplus comm. with a vulture catfish. Damn doug I must repeat no more tanks no more tanks no more tanks

• Goranothos
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

I just remeasured and I only have 94" between the left side and the beginning of the wooden door trim. I'm going to have to limit myself to a seven foot long tank.

I'm certainly not averse to the idea of a greater than two foot width tank however. 2.5 to 3 foot width would be nice. As for height, DMD123 has a point in that 25" is enough.

May go custom from Glasscages. Will talk to some LFS first.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds