Basement Tank

• Goranothos
  • Goranothos's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: Basement Tank

Got the quote back from Glasscages very quickly.

$1718 delivered to a drop point 100 miles from my house. In their defense, they have to charge me sales tax since I am a TN resident.

Curbside shipping an additional $487, so a total of $2205 for the same tank delivered curbside VS $1704 for customaquariums.com.

A difference of $501. Only difference being glasscages offers a limited 90 day warranty, while customaquariums offers essentially no warranty unless you use their stands, and a lifetime warranty if you do use their stands. Note that warranties only cover replacement/repair of the tank and do not cover loss of livestock or water damage to your house or business, and also that tank warranties require you to return the failed tank to the manufacturer at your expense, which can be considerable for large tanks.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson
The following user(s) said Thank You: DMD123

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Goranothos
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Hope you guys don't mind me continually updating this thread. We all need big tanks, and I'm hoping to be helpful with my journey through this. Anyone can go to PetSmart and buy a (max) standard 125 gallon. I have found that once you want to go to larger tanks, you have to negotiate the world of custom builders, craigslist, etc.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DMD123

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Basement Tank

Appreciate the updates! I found an exceptional deal on my 210g on Craigslist. It was brand new never set up with all stickers still on products and glass tops in box. So I got tank, stand and tops for $500. This stuff all priced out new was over $1500. Ive had it going now for over three years and am looking for that next step up which like you said can be a challenge. I do appreciate the footwork you have done and posted for us all. Thank you!

• Goranothos
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

DMD123 wrote: Appreciate the updates! I found an exceptional deal on my 210g on Craigslist. It was brand new never set up with all stickers still on products and glass tops in box. So I got tank, stand and tops for $500. This stuff all priced out new was over $1500. Ive had it going now for over three years and am looking for that next step up which like you said can be a challenge. I do appreciate the footwork you have done and posted for us all. Thank you!

That is an amazing deal, Grats. It is always great to hear about people who get these awesome deals on Craigslist, etc.

My own experience with Craigslist tank pricing (and I have spent considerable time on CL) has been that my local CL postings are mostly people wanting new retail prices for their old junk, which may or may not even hold water.

I've pretty much resigned myself to buying new when it comes to aquariums.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Basement Tank

It is really hit and miss in my area. Not a whole lot of big tanks even come up for sale. You would not think it would be that bad since Im in a major area of Tacoma/Seattle. I still keep my eyes on Craigslist for deals but most times not worth my time either.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Basement Tank

Hell no doug ive been following it. Remember all the nonesense I put you guys through

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:Basement Tank

I have had some success on CL, but I rarely see anything over 55gal on there. The other stuff is always custom reef and way out of my price range. I actually hope to get the 240L from glass cages this spring, and the only reason I know about them is from your past post, so keep it up.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Basement Tank

I'd go with the VS for 1704. The 90 day guarantee is not that great anyway and your stand will well built. Right? B)

• Goranothos
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Just placed a call to my favorite independent LFS and asked for a quote on the Perfecto 265 with glass lids. If they give me an equal or lower price than what I've been quoted for custom, then I would be tempted. As nice as curbside delivery is, I live on a small road on top of a steep hill, so the truck can't make it up to my house, which forces me to meet them in a parking lot about 1/4 mile away. The good thing about ordering from a LFS is that they can reject the tank if it arrives broken, and they can hold the tank in their store for me until I get some guys together to go pick it up.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Basement Tank

I would go for the tank from the lfs

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds