On media, filtration and bacteria

• Thank you received: 1

PeteMoss replied the topic: On media, filtration and bacteria

The subject of bio-filtration is a widely debated topic. Let's go straight to the basic science behind it.

Fish and decaying waste creates ammonia.

( Mechanical filtration helps remove waste before it completely decomposes into ammonia, but for now I am just going to cover the subject of biological filtration. )

Nitrosomonas bacteria oxidizes the ammonia, creating nitrite. Nitrobacter bacteria then take the nitrite and convert it to nitrate. Both of these bacteria genera are what we call aerobic bacteria, meaning they need oxygen to complete their respective processes.

Then there are anaerobic bacteria in the aquarium. They can only exist where there is a lack of oxygen. They consume nitrates from the water, but often to a minimal extent. I personally wouldn't purchase any filter media that claims it fosters anaerobic bacteria, as lava rock is often just as effective. There are easier and more effective ways to remove nitrates; the addition of live plants, nitrate removing media, water changes, or even autotrophic sulfur denitrification ( sulfur reactors )

The simple truth behind it all, is that if you are having ammonia or NITRITE issues, you need additional bio-filtration. Surface area is rarely the missing factor in any aquarium with a substrate. Simply increasing oxygen in your system almost always provides the missing factor for bacteria to convert the ammonia and nitrite into nitrate.

Airstones and increased flow are great ways to add oxygen to your system, although wet/dry systems and sumps are also great ways to do this. Keep in mind that it isn't magic plastic balls in the wet/dry system that make it so successful, it is the increased oxygen. The only thing bioballs really contribute to is the bank balance of a clever CEO's marketing venture. If increased oxygen really doesn't eliminate your ammonia and nitrite issues, then it is time to consider media that provides additional surface area.

Fluidized sandbeds offer additional surface area to water contact, granting additional biological filtration, however it is minimal. I would simply add more substrate or filter media if oxygen wasn't the issue.

If you are having NITRATE issues, perform more regular water changes, or use another method to remove nitrates, some of which are listed above.

I've been banned for trying to explain this before, so hopefully the new ( or old ) management permits the discussion.

Hope this helps!

Edit: Oh, the lifespan of bacteria is very short. When they die they decompose and break down into ammonia, food for the later generations. Such is the circle of life.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: On media, filtration and bacteria

your explanation is very much clear and true... thank you...

now on the banning part... the admin will never ban anyone for sharing such info like this... however, if in the course of discussion or argument, you use impolite or harsh words to insist your point, that would be the problem... not the info for discussion or argument.

• Thank you received: 1

PeteMoss replied the topic: On media, filtration and bacteria

I was very polite before. It was darth who banned me because he didn't agree with me on wet/dry filters.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: On media, filtration and bacteria

PeteMoss wrote: I was very polite before. It was darth who banned me because he didn't agree with me on wet/dry filters.

That doesn't surprise me, you're not the only person who he got rid of because they disagreed with him. Anyway, he's not here any more, and he certainly won't be coming back in the future, that is for sure.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:On media, filtration and bacteria

PeteMoss wrote: I was very polite before. It was darth who banned me because he didn't agree with me on wet/dry filters.

Funny darth had suggested going wet/dry several times when i was setting up my 150.

OFL wrote:

That doesn't surprise me, you're not the only person who he got rid of because they disagreed with him. Anyway, he's not here any more, and he certainly won't be coming back in the future, that is for sure.

Penn isnt it your site ? dont you have control over who gets banned and doesnt ? I have had my share of heated disagreements with darth which never got disrespectful nor got me "banned". People were flamed all of the time on this site by people other than darth along with others getting a pass because they were active (just my assumption).

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds