Pothos filters

• Poseidon2.0
  • Poseidon2.0's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 created the topic: Pothos filters

Here is a video of the pothos filters on Poseidon's tank. My first attempt at "talking" during the video. Typically hate the sound of my own voice, but oh well.

I have 2 ac70s filled with plants and anchor the roots using sponges from old AC50 filters. One I just moved over from Darth Vader's tank as I upgraded his to an AC110 with Arrowhead plants. Made a video of that too, but couldn't get it to upload. I also have a pot with lucky bamboo in Poseidon's tank.

There is northern light that comes into the window near the tank everyday. I don't have any special lighting added for them. They are flourishing so imagine that they are getting plenty of nutrients.

The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH, TheLilMommaB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Pothos filters

Were you able to track the difference in the Nitrate levels before and after the plants were added. I'm thinking of going that route on my Carpintis tank, its close to a window and gets natural sunlight for the Pothos.

• Poseidon2.0
  • Poseidon2.0's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Pothos filters

In Poseidon's original tank, which was an overstocked 55, I noticed that there was a dramatic difference once I added it. My tap water comes out at 10ppm tap water and the pothos helped to take it down to 5ppm. Now that he is four times the size in a 125 I notice it maintains the 10ppm range only, which is why I recently doubled the amount of pothos filtration, hoping to reduce it further. I am imagining if I didn't have the plant filter in there though, that it would be well into the 30-40 ppm range by weeks end. I try to keep my water changes down to 90% once a week, which is why this is so important to me.

I like the natural sunlight for this purpose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DBLN8

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Pothos filters

Thanks P. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Pothos filters

Ive been wanting to do this for a while havent watched the vid yet but thanks ben

• Thank you received: 4

noodle replied the topic: Pothos filters

This looks great. I love the fact that pothos does so well in dim light. I am doing a similar thing with vegetables/herbs but they all need a lot more light. I am having trouble finding pothos here, next time I go out of town I will try and look for pothos and give it a go.

There is a thread in another form that is over 130 pages long talking about pothos in various types of fish tanks and sumps. Apparently many people there have noticed an average of 5 to 15 ppm reduction in nitrates per plant once it starts to grow. While this does not eliminate the need for water changes it does help the fish have healthier water. Some people claim to have roughly 0 nitrates from using pothos in their sump.

Many of them are simply floating the pothos roots in the tank/sump in a basket to protect them, the leaves are all out of the water. Some of them are also growing the plants in the filter as you are doing. They recommend trimming the roots when planting so the pothos grows back water roots as opposed to soil roots. I would link to it but don't know the rules about linking to other forums.

Keep up the great work, your fish looks very healthy from what I could see in that video!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Poseidon2.0

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Pothos filters

OK....I'm gonna do one too......looks great & my tanks are in basement, so if they are growing like that w/ winter lighting ( I get some sun in there during the day, right into my 75GL)....then I would imagine I would have some success.

My question is.......I can get Pothos from work...one of my co-workers grows it in the lobby...has tons, told me to take what I want....but where do you clip it?

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Pothos filters

Ben have you noticed a decent amount of reduction in nitrates?

I like the bamboo too is it dirt in the pot ? Does bamboo need something for the roots to hold onto or can it be fixed to a peice of wood or rock?

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Pothos filters

Here's a link to a quick video on propagating pothos. You can see what will be the new root where two stems come together. You can take several clippings from cutting below that node or take a cutting from one long runner if it has several places on it where you can see the root growing out of the stem. Wherever you can see the roots sticking out of the stem, they'll grow in your sump or filter no problem.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Pothos filters

Thanks.....I may have gills, but my wife is the one w/ the green thumb. B)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds