Pothos filters

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Pothos filters

BTW - the aquaponic filter I have recommends four plants for growing in the filter: arrowhead, peace lilly, lucky bamboo, and pothos. Today, I decided to go ahead and use this filter to grow pothos. I've had the filter on a 10g tank with a goldfish and it produces nitrates at about the same rate as my oscar in the 75g. I'll notice any reduction in nitrates.

I'm going to make a top for my 75 gallon with both sides cut out for filters to grow pothos out of.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Poseidon2.0
  • Poseidon2.0's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Pothos filters

daddadoo7 wrote: Ben have you noticed a decent amount of reduction in nitrates?

I like the bamboo too is it dirt in the pot ? Does bamboo need something for the roots to hold onto or can it be fixed to a peice of wood or rock?

I used a clay aquarium substrate meant for planted tanks. You can also put it directly into the filter. You just have to make sure that the top of the bamboo comes out of the water or it will die pretty quickly. I had one stalk die off initially, but the others are beginning to thrive.

I did see some reduction for sure, but becomes more of a challenge as the Os get bigger. I just doubled the plants in Vader's tank, already seen a reduction in just a couple of days, but still not getting it quite down to 5 ppm, so may need to add more. We will see. As the new plants establish more, it should start to increase it's effectiveness.

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Pothos filters

noodle wrote: This looks great. I love the fact that pothos does so well in dim light. I am doing a similar thing with vegetables/herbs but they all need a lot more light. I am having trouble finding pothos here, next time I go out of town I will try and look for pothos and give it a go.

There is a thread in another form that is over 130 pages long talking about pothos in various types of fish tanks and sumps. Apparently many people there have noticed an average of 5 to 15 ppm reduction in nitrates per plant once it starts to grow. While this does not eliminate the need for water changes it does help the fish have healthier water. Some people claim to have roughly 0 nitrates from using pothos in their sump.

Many of them are simply floating the pothos roots in the tank/sump in a basket to protect them, the leaves are all out of the water. Some of them are also growing the plants in the filter as you are doing. They recommend trimming the roots when planting so the pothos grows back water roots as opposed to soil roots. I would link to it but don't know the rules about linking to other forums.

Keep up the great work, your fish looks very healthy from what I could see in that video!

I wouldn't mind a link to the discussion, if you still have it. But, in any case, yup, I've both put the pothos directly in the tank as well as in the filter. Darth Vader began to tear the roots and leaves apart and it took up a fair bit of swimming room for him so moved it to a larger HOB (AC110). This plant was big and had leaves in and outside of the tank. Lasted for about a month before he began to shred it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

• Thank you received: 4

noodle replied the topic: Pothos filters

I have sent you the link in a message as it may be bad form linking to other forums, hopefully I did it properly. If not let me know and I will try again.

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Got it! Thanks.

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Pothos filters

i had used arrowhead for my filter and they really consummed the nitrates in my tank... i also have same set up using pothos...

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Pothos filters

I think I have an old AC70 lying around I'm going to put the Pothos in that and see how it works.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Pothos filters

@DRACO - That looks like a 5 gallon bucket. With that many arrowhead growing I bet it made a difference. Can you tell me how you had the plumbing set up? Did you have a pump sending water into that (and maybe other) plants and then draining back into your tank?

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

UNC-CH, here is a thread about Draco's filter, with some of the DIY info that will interest you. I would like to set something up like this myself, but haven't spent the time to put something like it together.

www.oscarfishlover.com/forum/14-tanks-filtration-heating-etc/302824-filtration-etc#365658

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Pothos filters

Ben do you clean the sponges in the ac's that have the pothos

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds