Pothos filters

• Poseidon2.0
  • Poseidon2.0's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Pothos filters

Not that often. I have to do it very carefully so as not to break the roots that develop. More just rinsing them lightly in a bucket of tank water every few weeks if I see a lot of build up. The roots feed off of the sponges, so some build up is good for them and mostly they are there to help anchor the plant (that is why I use a smaller sponge, like an AC30 or 50 sponge in an AC70. I have lots of extra filtration that takes care of mechanical filtration though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Pothos filters

I wonder if the purigen will interact with the plant growth mhhh

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Pothos filters

I now realize that instead of pothos, I planted philodendron in the filter. I've done some research and although many seem to use pothos and philodendron interchangeably, they are definitely different plants. They are shaped nearly identically and are related but the main difference is the size. Pothos leaves are thicker and can grow to be more than twice the size. Also, the overall plant is larger, climbing twice as high and having thicker stems. I'm not sure if I'm the only one that might make this mistake, but since it takes about 4 weeks for the plant to get established and begin impacting nitrates, getting the correct plant now is important.

The article below mentions a few differences and confirms that they are different plants, but I'm still not sure I can tell them apart. The only thing I can think to do is to go to a small plant nursery and ask for pothos instead of philodendron. I wouldn't trust the labels from the large stores with garden centers. If anyone has any suggestions about telling the difference, let me know.

homeguides.sfgate.com/differences-between-golden-pothos-heartleaf-philodendron-59737.html

I'm pretty sure this is philodendron, not pothos.

• Thank you received: 56

JBare replied the topic: Re:Pothos filters

I have a pothos, you should be able to tell the difference. The pothos stems are VERY thick and difficult to handle. I actually have some rooting right now to add to my african tank. They are pretty relentless, mine actually started growing into a FAKE tree. I had to cut it back to tame it a bit, which isn't easy without something very sharp!

**edit. Yes, you are correct about the above plant, it's not a pothos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Pothos filters

UNC-CH, the difference between the pothos and philodendron is primarily in the roots. Philodendrons will not take to water at all and have a very flimsy sensitive root. What you have is a kind of pothos. To be sure there are many varieties of both plants, but If it is taking to the water and growing roots, like yours appears to be you are good to go.

I made the mistake of putting a philodendron in my tank some time ago and it basically just died. It has a thinner and more intricate root system where as the pothos has thicker and longer, hardier roots.

Here is a pic of philodendron leaves commonly found in plant shops. If I can dig up images of my root system I had, I will show you the difference. In short I think you are fine.

Not that I'm recommending this because I have nothing to back it up, but I have wandering jew cuttings in Marshall's tank, they are growing like crazy and nitrates never get above 10. I Googled it, and it appears it's not a pothos or philodendron so I'm not sure, but it's working at my house. This is what it looks like..

The following user(s) said Thank You: Poseidon2.0, UNC-CH

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

That's good to know Jen. I will add that to my list of possible plants to use. I am using arrowhead plant in one filter right now and it is doing a bang up job on the nitrates so far. I want to try a spider plant next, which have these massive root system on them. Basically my tanks are going to turn into a hydroponics lab soon! :lol: Basically anything could be used so long as its roots can stand being submerged for long periods of time.

I was thinking the same thing. After some reading, the wandering jew is part of the spiderwart family. So I guess that explains it! I have more rooting now with my pothos for my african tank, and now I'm thinking I may need to try a peace lily in my angelfish tank. Oh the possibility!

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

I have also read that some people even put orchids in their filters. That would be very cool. No idea how effective they are on the nitrates though.

I see an experiment in my very near future!! Thanks Ben! Lol

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds