How I clean my Fx6

• daddadoo7
  • daddadoo7's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 created the topic: How I clean my Fx6

I wasnt going to clean it for another month but had some spare time today and was curious to see what it looked like. Last cleaning was 3 months ago. No reduction in flow during that time.

Close return valve then intake valve. Unplug unit. Open the bad boy up.

Rinse pads. I rinsed two of the trays pads at a time twice. Also forgot that I had the coarse pad on the top tray.

This was as clean as I could get them.

Bio in seperate pal. Rinsed in tank water twice.

Washed the trays and canister in tap water then dipped them in tank water.

Put it all back together.
Bottom tray has a fine pad then bio on top. I keep the fine pad in others dont it hasnt reduced flow yet and I feel more comfortable that small particles of bio (I suspect from either the biomax or substrate pro) wont get in the impeller housing.

Middle tray just bio

Top tray bio and a coarse pad ontop.

Run your fingers along the sides of the tray to make sure the foam is set and not bunched up especially in the corners.

Put all together

Should have taken a vid of flow prior to cleaning but to be honest I notice no difference which leads me to feel I could have gona another month or two between cleanings.

P.s. great filter. I dont like the whole tray thing p.i.t.a to clean and that the impeller is on the bottom of the canister. Hoping to move this to zeus' tank and replace it with a 2262. We'll see

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: How I clean my Fx6

Nice job with the pictures. I wish I would take more pics of things like that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daddadoo7

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:How I clean my Fx6

Thanks david. Gotta mention this too. The automatic air purge feature...why is air even getting in to the point that it needs to be purged every 24 hrs. Maybe im just picking on the fx cuz its such a pain to clean

Have not looked at my FX6 to see if it is the same as the FX5. But one thing to look out for is the tiny tube built into the lid. I guess it has something to do with purging air. It will get clogged up with junk and needs to be cleaned. I find a Q-tip with most of the cotton removed will do the trick. You will need to come in from both ends of the tube to clean it out.

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:How I clean my Fx6

I havent even noticed it. When you unbox tje fx6 let me know

This is a pic of the FX5 lid I found online:

Notice the little the from the center of the lid to the hole on the right? That is the tube that needs to be kept clean. Like I said I have not seen the FX6 yet. It is still in the box waiting for something good. :P

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:How I clean my Fx6

I've been waiting for a good time to shoot a vid of my FX5 when I clean it. It hasn't been opened since the end of October 2013... 15-16 months ago. I have no noticeable flow reduction and it hasn't turned into a nitrate factory. I cleaned it the first couple times at 3 months, then went 6 months a couple times with no difference in how dirty it was and really it seemed like a waste of time. So here we are 15 or so months later and I'm hella curious to see what it's like inside.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

I went up to a year before cleaning one of mine and it was absolutely filthy. This was when my stock levels were higher with a large school of red hook silver dollars in the tank. With my current stock I clean it out every four months and it is not too bad.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:How I clean my Fx6

Most of the the last year was only my Bahia oscar growing up and 2 or 3 small HRP's in my 125. Now I have a 13 inch pleco in there as well. But no debris goes in the filter intake due to where it all collects in the tank and my OCD cleaning and water changes. I'm expecting it to be very sludgy though and a bit of sand in the bottom. I'm getting to the point now where I'm worrying about it stopping for its daily purge and not restarting.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: Re:How I clean my Fx6

awesome dude

Haku, I knew your were good.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds