How I clean my Fx6

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: How I clean my Fx6

I may get one......but it stops to purge air???? Huh? Why would it get air in it in the 1st place?? My XP4 used to but I had it set up wrong. Just learning here.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daddadoo7

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• daddadoo7
  • daddadoo7's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:How I clean my Fx6

Totally agree jack to me why is air getting in at a rate that it has to be expelled every 24 hrs. Lots of bypass too

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:How I clean my Fx6

That is a lot of sponge media! Would it be possible to change that out with extra ceramic/sintered-glass media instead? Great photos. I have wanted to see what the inside of one of these.

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

I guess you could swap out media for the side sponges the blue sponge you see in the first tray takes up very little space as does the coarse sponge in the top tray. The problem with swapping out the foam on the sides is you run the risk of some small bio media particles possibly getting into the bottom of the filter where the motor is (another thing ondont like). The filter shuts off every 24 hrs so anything that is suspended due to the flow can fall to the bottom. Great filter for the price but has flaws

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:How I clean my Fx6

Frank, I have to say that when I get one I will be happy that you put so much thought into the set up. You are imo the most meticulous fish keeper I have ever seen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daddadoo7

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Lmao wow rob thanks man thats a huge compliment

• Thank you received: 11

toom replied the topic: How I clean my Fx6

Here is the reason i am an Fan of the bigger Eheims. I use two Eheim 1200 XL and this are really decent biological Filters with nearly 2.5 times more media capacity while being not that much larger, also he only has about 50% of the FX series flow what increase its biological function.

For all this purposes i use my FX6 as an chemical Filter by filling it with Zeolite. If right maintained and changed regular its abilitys of absorbing NH4 is very noticable and it makes it hard for any kind of alga to exist.

I change my any 2 Months, my big tank gets from 11 am till the late evening direct sunlight with the window about 15 inches away from the tank and my cleaning maintaince is minimal.

Costs are also still handable. One bag of Brand Hobby Zeolith with 20 kg/44 pounds cost about 19 Euros and this is enough for 5 to 6 fillings so 10 to 12 months.

And yes salt would recharge it but i don't use any salt in my tanks without the hospital one. Also i did not have any bigger case of sickness since years in my tanks.

Zeolith is also an great way of direct stocking bigger fish without fearing an peak of Nitrit.

For the purging issue the FX 6 series is an problem of its plumbing system. Look the inline as example. Its just connected to the telescopic pipe with an sleeve made out of rubber and like where the telescopic intake splits this connection point seems not to be 100% air tight so it sucks constantly air. In the cichlidenwelt.com Forum some people had also this problem and it seems they managed this with an custom made inline pipe and using silicone hose.

I think the Problem is here that the FX Series is in orginal just an lightly modded filter for ponds and that his motor unit is at the bottom while other canisters like his counterparts Eheim 1200XL, 2260, 2262, JBL 1901 and some more has there Motor unit at the top of the canister.

Its not that the other filters don't contain any air but while air depends to be lighter than water it will go by itself the way up to the filter lid. Here it can escape from the units with the Impeller at the highest point via gravity but not on the FX series.

I increased my FX6 mechanical filtration with an constantly laminar current of 3300Gph that push any kind of gunk the way of its inline pipe. So i don't increase mechanical filtration but multiply the contact time of floating particles at the intake.
For maintaince my FX6 could also run another 3 to 4 months while opening it any 2 months. But what i also did i changed the Fluval sponge to an DIY cutted 20 ppi sponge

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Toom i agree im not a big fan of this filter im actually replacing it with an eheim 2262 with varying sizes of foam (10,20, and 30 ppi) im curious to see how much more bio it holds over the fx

• Thank you received: 11

toom replied the topic: How I clean my Fx6

That is an good choise. I had one running for more than 15 years that was still made in West Germany so pre 90s Modell with the 2260 powerhead on it and this filter is really nice.
He keeps about 50% to 70% more Media as an 1200XL depending what kind of grain size you choose but this filter needs some unconventional modding like a thick 0.7 to 1 inch rubber mat for washing machine to stand on and an bag filled with several ponds of fine sand put on the powerhead, that will reduce about 70% of Vibration and noise.

For me he becomed an nightmare on my electricity bill, US and GER has different energy politics but because some green party sobs fear an earthquake followed by an Tsunami that rolles at least 20 miles into the german Coast area (impossible) we had an massive energy change and putted all nuclear power plants from the net.
Outcome was that we are now the first G8 Nation that nearly runs on alternative energys but the price was to let one of the biggest industrys in the World still competitive on the international market the prices on the private consumer was put up to 250% in the last 5 years.

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Toom we think alike.....energy consumption was a big factor in delaying my purchase. Right now i am using about 88 watts on both of my tanks for filtration. After the 2262 arrives it will go to between 123 to 137 watts depending on what i do with my 75 gallon set up. the most energy efficient set up would be 150 gal 2262+ac110, 75 gal sponge filter, ac50, and eheim 2217. On the other end the least energy efficient would be 150 gal same as before and the 75 gal with fx6 only talking 14 watts difference though....

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds