How I clean my Fx6

• Thank you received: 0

oscarloverdave replied the topic: Re:How I clean my Fx6

I have an FX6, not had any other external filter but I am very happy with this one, it keeps my tank nice and clean and healthy in conjunction with an internal Fluval which is more for flow than anything else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• daddadoo7
  • daddadoo7's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Re:How I clean my Fx6

oscarloverdave wrote: I have an FX6, not had any other external filter but I am very happy with this one, it keeps my tank nice and clean and healthy in conjunction with an internal Fluval which is more for flow than anything else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a bad filter infact its great i just prefer the simplicity and reliability of the classics...

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Re:How I clean my Fx6

I think the FX5 is awesome but I've only dealt with the smaller Eheims (2217, 2215, 2213 etc). While they house a massive amount of bio media for their size, I've had to wrestle them into behaving themselves, whereas my FX5s and 405 have been flawless since I got them. I'm curious to see what a big Eheim's like but I just can't justify the cost when my FX5s work as well as they do. Also the price difference is immense between them down here. No matter how good the huge Eheims are I question if they're literally worth spending double the money on.

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Re:Re:How I clean my Fx6

Lammergeier wrote: I think the FX5 is awesome but I've only dealt with the smaller Eheims (2217, 2215, 2213 etc). While they house a massive amount of bio media for their size, I've had to wrestle them into behaving themselves, whereas my FX5s and 405 have been flawless since I got them. I'm curious to see what a big Eheim's like but I just can't justify the cost when my FX5s work as well as they do. Also the price difference is immense between them down here. No matter how good the huge Eheims are I question if they're literally worth spending double the money on.

Curious what problems did you have with the classics you've owned ?
There are stories of classics regularly last 10 to 20 yrs. There is 0 bypass the fx6 has tons of it. The impeller placement and automatic air purge just arent for me long term there is just more that can go wrong. The classics imo are more customizable. I am curious to see how much more bio the eheim holds... if you follow fluvals instructions only 1 tray is filled with bio. I will say that the fx6 does a great job especially for mech.

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Re:Re:How I clean my Fx6

I've basically just had the opposite personal experience to you :P I've found the Fluvals I have to generally be easier to set up. Not quite as good with bio media volume but a lot more durable too.

With the eheims; the smallest one's impeller broke a while ago (replaced it of course), the 2217's seal around the inlet leaked, and they've just been more fiddly to set up. One of the locks in the inlet snapped off yesterday on the 2213 too :pinch: With the fluvals it was just 'fill with bio, fill with water, plug in done'. With the eheims there's been 'fill with bio, fill with water, plug in... not working. Re-prime filter, plug in, not working. Flail in anger, re-prime filter, plug in, finally works'.

Just my personal experience with them. Don't get me wrong, once all of that ^ got sorted out the eheims are great, and I love the amount of bio media you can put in them, but I think Fluvals are generally better all-rounders taking into account durability, price etc. At least down here.

Dying to see how the Filstar gets on compared to a fluval. I had a Rena XP3 I was meant to pick up Saturday where the sale fell through, and have a new XP3 sitting in its box that I need to get a voltage inverter for lol.

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:How I clean my Fx6

Guess its different strokes for different folks :cheer:

• Thank you received: 11

toom replied the topic: How I clean my Fx6

The Eheim 1200XL is still the best biological filter on the market alone the 2.5 increase of media over an FX is an huge difference and also Eheim has an far better Gallon/Wattage as Fluval on there last Professional Series.

My 2260 was made 1989 and was going out of service with 23 years of age and i sold him to a friend where he still going strong. I really keep my eqipment clean and do propper care and with this maintenance this canister would run another 20 years but for sure no FX5 will run in 2037.

For the price, this is may an american thing, you look to much on price and power but not about quality. In the states something becomes better if it just get bigger or more powerfull. Compared to cars it is like Porsche to corvette. The corvette may have 80 HP more as an Porsche and is only 60% of its price but its still only a corvette with all its little flaws.

One of this little and unnesesry flaws on the FX Series is the not air tight inline hose connection and another flaw is the always water spitting aqua stop values by disconnecting from the canister, things like this don't happen on an Eheim even already 26 years old.

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:How I clean my Fx6

Yeah, definitely Frank. I've heard so much about eheim reliability/durability and I'm just like "uh... come again?" :lol:

If I get the chance to grab one of the big ones I will though, as long as it's no more expensive than an FX5.

"another flaw is the always water spitting aqua stop values by disconnecting from the canister, things like this don't happen on an Eheim even already 26 years old."

Definitely different strokes. I've never experienced anything like that :blink: And toom, not American here. Price is a consideration, sure, but quality is too and in my personal experience the supposed quality of Eheims (at least the smaller classics) is overrated. Perhaps the older ones are better quality than the new, but I can't really comment on that as I only have experience with the newer ones.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: How I clean my Fx6

My FX5's have been running three years with no problems from the filters. I did have a small leak, BUT that was my fault, I forgot to tighten down one of the clamps. Ran for over a month and a half before water came out. I tightened down the clamp and it stopped.

Im a preventive maintenance kind of guy so I recently redid all the gaskets on one FX5 and have the gaskets on had to do the other. I just have not had issues with these filters. I also have an eheim 2217 and have not had issues with that one either.

• Thank you received: 11

toom replied the topic: How I clean my Fx6

You don't know? It even is writen in the manual that you need a towel or something like that while you disconnect the hoses from the canister because the water that is still remaining in the value will come out.

For me the FX have far more potential but Fluval is way to much in marketing there products as with propper developing.

The powerhead mounted at the canister lid, hard plastic plumbing in and outline pieces and filtering Sandwich like from top to bottom as just putting 60% of it with sponge and The FX would be one hell of an canister.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds