Saved some fish lives today

• Bri B
  • Bri B's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32

Bri B created the topic: Saved some fish lives today

So I'm at petsmart today and as I'm checking out the fish I'm listening to the employee telling this couple to get all these different tropicals. I notice they have the tank in their cart so I asked if all these fish are going in a brand new tank and they said yes. Pretty much every fish they were choosing would have been killed in the cycle, not one would be considered "hardy" I gave them a brief summary of cycling, told them to read up on it and they ended up leaving with an api master kit and 5 zebra Danios. 100 percent due to everything all of you guys have told me I clearly knew substantially more than the "fish lady" at the store. I honestly think she had no clue what I was talking about.
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Saved some fish lives today

Petsmart is brutal. Young fella at my work just added 6 Bala sharks to his 55g Angel tank. Petsmart flunky told him they grow to 4ins max and will do great in his tank. Another one I personally witnessed, guy points to a tank of what was labelled Red Devils. Actually Midevils, but anyways, guy asks if it would go well with his Mollies. Flunky says for sure, a good community fish, stays around 5ins. Sheeez!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Bri B replied the topic: Re:Saved some fish lives today

Yeah you would think they would give the employees some basic info and training or at least one of the employees there would be knowledgeable and fill in his coworkers. I suppose if they told customers how to cycle a tank too many fish would actually survive and that's "bad" for business. I wonder how long the mollies lasted lol

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Saved some fish lives today

Way to go! You saved the lives of those fish but you also helped out those people a lot by giving them a brief education. They likely would have undergone a lot with their fish getting sick, going back to petsmart to buy medications, the fish dying, buying more fish, more stuff and do on. You saved them a lot of money too. B)

And yes, I think it's as simple as that ... the employees don't have a clue because they're not required (supposed) to. It would be bad business for petsmart if say, you were an employee. :laugh:

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Haha I'd be fired before I got my first paycheck tho api kit and hardy fish sales would be off the charts.

• Thank you received: 16

Nyx replied the topic: Re:Saved some fish lives today

Ok, I gotta chime in here. I'm sure there are TONS of petstores, locally owned or big chain like petsmart where there are employees who have no idea what they're talking about, I actually had a locally owned fish store OWNER tell me I could put a baby zebra plec in with a full grown Oscar in a 55 gallon, a worker there also tried to sell me fish food that was outdated by six months. But I'm getting away from my point, I hate to see it generalized that everyone in that industry big box store or not doesn't know what they're doing or that they're just out to make money because not all are. Sometimes I wonder if the stories I hear of an employee being very wrong is as much the employee as it is the customer. How often do they get yelled at for telling the customer the truth, BY the customer. Its probably obvious by all of this that I work in this industry and do you know how many CUSTOMERS I've had yell at me because I told them that No, goldfish can not live in bowls. Or that the problem with their cloudy dirty water in their ten gallon tank is because they have 30+ fish and, no adding an alage eater wouldn't help. By no means am I saying that all of the workers everywhere know what they're doing and some are just very ignorant, but think about the ones who arnt and are just tired of being yelled at by customers for telling them the truth and for the sake of arguing keep their mouths shut or tell them what they want to hear.
I hope I dont come across as mean or anything right here because I'm not trying to be, and I complet understand the frustration with this but just keep in mind the employee side of these situations too. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

No not at all nyx. There are plenty of people in that industry that care and are knowledgeable I was just citing a specific scenario I was involved in today. Furthermore if more people like yourself were who customers talk to when they are setting up a new aquarium the world would be a better place for the fish and the fish keepers.

Lol well thanks!
I just get tired of customers yelling at me all day or acting like I don't know what I'm talking about. It makes it when I do get the customer who intently listens to everything I say with open ears and takes it to heart worth it.
So I just have to chime in once in a while and remind people that maybe the pet store people told you all of that because they figure that's what the customer wanted to hear and didn't want to be yelled at for the 10th time that day.

But this situation is obvious the worker was incompetent so I don't want to take away from that. Anyone who sells any type of living creature should have the proper training from the get go and that doesn't happen :(

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Agree fully. I wish I was independently wealthy so I could work part time at a lfs and let people know about the basics of setting up a healthy aquarium. Such a beautiful rewarding addition to your home when you have healthy happy fish in a clean well maintained tank. My ADD makes it a perfect hobby for me as I never really sit still lol

Lol yes it sure does keep you busy! I actually just set up my 8th tank just for a snail :silly: my boyfriend thinks I'm crazy but says, "hey, whatever makes ya happy" and goes with it lol

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds