Saved some fish lives today

• Bri B
  • Bri B's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32

Bri B replied the topic: Re:Saved some fish lives today

Nice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 2

AV8R replied the topic: Re:Saved some fish lives today

I was sold an Oscar at pet smart. I told the guy I had a 20 gallon tank and he said it would be fine they grow to the size of the tank. After I got him I did tons of research on them, and I was unable to get a tank big enough for him that he needed. I ended up giving the Oscar to a local fish store in trade for an adult pair of convicts. I'm thankful for you guys and helping me realize what a bad idea it would be to keep the Oscar. The cons are awesome. They just had a set of fry last week!
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Nice!! Cons r very cool fish and hopefully u can bring the fry to the same pet shop. This forum is awesome and my O's owe their health to the regulars here that gave me fantastic advice on what they need space diet filtration wise.

• Thank you received: 3

Debow replied the topic: Re:Saved some fish lives today

Yea I have to say some workers at my local petco have no clue what they are talking about but their are 2 workers who do know and have experience. They each have a few big tanks of their own and know tons and give great advise! But I'll say I have caught the bad workers giving advise to families that put oscars lives at great danger. So I kindly stepped in and gave the family the truth about oscars and what I recommended. Thankful they listened and did what I said.

Kytha Debow: jamberry and fish lover
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH, Bri B

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Re:Saved some fish lives today

Nyx wrote: Lol well thanks!
I just get tired of customers yelling at me all day or acting like I don't know what I'm talking about. It makes it when I do get the customer who intently listens to everything I say with open ears and takes it to heart worth it. ...

I appreciate this perspective. I've considered things from the viewpoint of the employee and think I can relate based on my experience last night.

I had gone to petsmart to pick up some filters I had ordered online and walked over to look at the fish. There were quite a few people waiting around, and there was only one woman working there. I've spoken to her often and she knows what she's talking about, but she was busy getting crickets for more than one person on this occasion. One of the people waiting was standing next to me and I asked what she was there for. She said that she was looking for fish to buy and that she needed something that didn't die too easily. I thought for a second and replied, "Guppies! What about guppies?" She then told me that every time she gets fish, they all die within 3 days. She had tried several times but they always ended up dying within 3 days. I asked her if she was using a water conditioner and she was. She said that she also had a filter running and couldn't figure it out. I thought for a few seconds and asked, "Do you have a heater?" She starred at me and slowly started to shake her head. "A heater? Nnnnnnooo. No." "That's probably what it is." I said. "Almost all of these fish need a heater. They don't do so well in the 60s." She seemed a little surprised but happy to find out about this and agreed that's what it probably was.

I left without finding out if she ever got a heater, but it seems that this is a case where the person may have actually listened. I can understand how frustrating it could be if they didn't listen. And if you got blamed or yelled at because their fish died because they didn't have a heater, how were you suppose to know they didn't have a heater?

It's not completely unlike they way things are in this forum. Some people will listen, some won't, and some will actually argue with you. I owe nearly everything I know to the members here at OFL. When someone new shows up and chooses to learn, it's always worth it. But when they decide not to care or that they know better, it can be frustrating.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bri B, AV8R

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Mike it's amazing how little people look into what it takes to give fish a happy healthy home. We both can agree with that. I clearly owe basically everything I know about aquariums to this forum also. Every time I get a nice low nitrate reading on my tanks I wish I could high 5 you and all of the regulars here that showed me the way. My fish all live in pristine water and have great varied diets and I have the pleasure of watching them thrive thanks to OFL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds