Anyone tried Nitra-Zorb?

• UNC-CH
  • UNC-CH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH created the topic: Anyone tried Nitra-Zorb?

Yesterday afternoon I received a bag of nitra-zorb I had ordered. I thought I'd give it a try in my canister since I'm changing out the media anyway. The biohome mini media came in and I'll be filling my XPL with that instead of the ceramic rings in there now.

Has anyone tried the nitra-zorb? Did you get decent results with it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Anyone tried Nitra-Zorb?

No, never tried these before, so it'll be interesting to see how you get on, maybe in a few months time you can do a write-up on them which may benefit people visiting the website.

However, they do rather resemble dried up dog turds :-)

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Anyone tried Nitra-Zorb?

Unc replied to your pm. But will say it here anyway how often does it need to be replaced ? What I like about the purigen is that its rechargable (perfectly safe) my 150 doesnt go above 5ppm of nitrate between wc... still must do large wc though as im sure you will

• UNC-CH
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

UNC-CH replied the topic: Anyone tried Nitra-Zorb or Biohome mini media?

@Penn - You see the resemblance too? Well it's good to know it's not just me then. :laugh:
Sure, I'll do a write up on the biohome. It's unique in it's properties ... very rough on the outside and porous inside. You can dip the end in water and watch it soak it up like a sponge. It'll be interesting to see how it performs and whether it maintains those sponge-like properties or if the inside pores get clogged.

@daddadoo7 - The nitra-zorb is an ion-exchange resin that absorbs ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate and can be recharged by soaking the pouch in 4 tablespoons of aquarium salt mixed in 8 ounces of warm water for 2 hours. It recommends recharching every two weeks or whenever nitrate rises above 20ppm, as much as every 2 days if needed. I'm not sure how long it's supposed to last but I read somewhere that it loses up to 10% of it's potency after a recharge.

It's been 24 hrs since putting in the nitra-zorb and I just tested the nitrate in my 75 gallon oscar tank and am waiting on the results. Last night nitrate was 20 or 30ppm, and now it's under 5ppm! Wow. I'll have to wait and see how long before I'm recharching it during every water change. I'm impressed so far though.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Anyone tried Nitra-Zorb or Biohome mini media?

I am personally hesitant to use chemicals to reduce nitrates. For one, it is not possible to maintain a blackwater environment along with either purigen or the nitra-zorb as they absorb all the tannins, etc. that soften the water. My fear with these chemical products is they take away as many beneficial nutrients as they do harmful ones.

Why did you decide to go with the biohome? Just curious as the last thread you discussed canister media, you seem to have been put off by this product.

• UNC-CH
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

UNC-CH replied the topic: Anyone tried Nitra-Zorb?

I've wondered the same concerning purigen, nitrazorb, and other resins. I hope I'm not replacing carbon with something that could be as bad.

No, I was put off by the ceramics I had purchased from a seller on ebay. The biohome I liked as it was sintered glass and I thought it wouldn't erode as easily as ceramic noidles. I was trying to decide between the eheim substrate pro and the biohome (a little more expensive but I really liked it) as a replacement for those.

It could have been that at one time, the biohome media was very expensive on ebay and I had decided against it. But I received a link to a seller in the US (from you I believe) who's price was more or less comparable to the eheim.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Anyone tried Nitra-Zorb?

I like the biohome, to be sure. I have it in my Filstar XP-XL that runs on my 125. The tank never seems to get about 20 ppm nitrates with one 90% weekly water change and has a pretty significant bio-load with an oscar, large pleco, and sev. I just added a Eheim 2217 onto Darth Vader's tank filled with the stuff too. I am interested to see if it will effect his water parameters.

There are a number of companies (biohome, Seachem matrix, and others) that make the claim that their media can denitrify. Most internet chatter favors the biohome in this regard; but so much of the chatter is just uniformed hype, so I am still a bit suspicious, but have had good results so far. At the very least it has a great surface area for lots of beneficial bacteria to grow and you can't really go wrong with that. :lol:

I also have a whole lot of Eheim sub pro too, that came with my various eheim canisters and I have loaded up two of my canisters with it. It has a good reputation for lasting a long time without disintegrating and a large surface are too.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds