Which color substrate

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Which color substrate

You will also need to take some precautions if you go with such fine sand. Lift up the FX6 intake tube a bit or wrap a per-filter around it. My fish will on occasion get a bit of my 1-2mm sand into the intakes but it is a bit heavier so it really does not get into the filter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• daddadoo7
  • daddadoo7's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Which color substrate

Not gonna be a prob I may by myslef a present :)

The Eheim would solve that for sure.... ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: daddadoo7

Went to Petsmart this evening and looked at their substrates. They have a Nat. Geo. product I am interested in. I believe they call it pebble beach sand. One back was a nice large grain sand and the other bag was basically a gravel. Same item different batches for sure. If both bags were the same 'sand' I would have got it. Im still on the lookout for something new for the 75g... maybe I should just mix a little black into the stuff I have to darken it just a little without making a salt and pepper.

Pure Pebble makes an African Cichlid mix that has a black that I like for grain size.
www.purewaterpebbles.com/african-cichlid-substrates/

Just read a review of the Pure Pebble African Cichlid mix in black and they commented it was sharp and not good for burrowing type fish. :(

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

This isy beef with the fx6....look at what you have to go through to find the right substrate

This is on the Oscar tank that has the AC110 and Eheim 2217. Not sure if I will set up that monster filter on such a small tank. Might actually add it to the 210g, or keep it as a back up. I would love having the 2262 canister but just can not justify the cost. My FX5's were $238 a couple years back and I recently got my FX6 at an awesome sale price for about the same.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Which color substrate

Do you ever have problems with brown algae getting on the glass? If so, I'd go with the black substrate. They both look great but the light gold is bright and I'd be concerned about that brown algae growing on it.

• daddadoo7
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Unc
Never heard of the color substrate having anything to do with brown algae I thought that was more of a phosphate and silicate thing with the water. That stuff grows in low lighting too. But no algae issues for me

David I agree about the 2262 price but some things I cant get around with the fx6 lots of bypass, horrible position of the motor, and this auto air purge to me has always been fishy. Stories out there of the motors not coming back on during the auto purge period to me the 2262 has 0 bypass water has to go through what ever medium is used (to me just that fact alone makes it a winner) not many stories on the net about classics failing cant say the same for the fx. Infact you can find stories of classics lasting 15 or 20 yrs I like the fx and plan on using on zeus' new tank but im a bit of a worry wart and murphys law is always a factor with me

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Which color substrate

I think he more meant it'd be less visible on a dark substrate than light, that's all.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds