new filter for new tank, establishing media good enough?

• 3xzsucof
  • 3xzsucof's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

3xzsucof created the topic: new filter for new tank, establishing media good enough?

tried searching, but couldn't find exactly what i was trying to ask.

ok so i'm getting my new filter sometime soon in the mail. should i take the old media from my current filter, add it to the new media and run them together to get colonies growing on the new media?

and then after i move the old tank, and set up the new tank, take out some of the media and set it in the new tanks filter(that would be set up on the new tank) to help cycle the tank? and eventually put all media from old filter to new filter. would that be enough to have the tank ready?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: new filter for new tank, establishing media good enough?

if you take the media from your old filter and place it in your new filter...should have an instant cycle ---but that depends on the tank size. there's some beneficial bacteria on the substrate .. but most of it is housed in the media ..... this is transferred right away correct?

• Thank you received: 32

Bri B replied the topic: Re:new filter for new tank, establishing media good enough?

Can u show me a pic of the current filter and the one you are getting? Some of the media may not fit properly but in most filters hob or cannister you can take bio media like balls or ceramic tubes and put them in a little nylon pouch. Easy to find at pet stores. But to answer your question yes, get as much cycled media in the new filter as possible right off the bat and get some Danios in the tank as well. Your cycle will be much faster. I only had a small amount of used media available to cycle my 55 gal. A few pads and sponges and some gravel and deco but that along with 7 Danios I was able to get my ammonia and nitrite spikes done and nitrate built up in a little over 2 weeks. Every scenario is a little different so your most important tool in the process is a good liquid water test kit. Api makes the best one. It will give u very accurate color coded results as long as instructions are followed. Keep us posted on how it goes and ask if you aren't sure about anything.

• 3xzsucof
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

3xzsucof replied the topic: Re:new filter for new tank, establishing media good enough?

yea, i will be using some substrate, and decor, along with the bio balls, and rings that i have in the filter. Im going from a 55gal to 155gal. btw

have the api kit also. just want a fast and as little stress to the fish as possible transfer. i guess i should also use a few minnows also to get the cycle moving?

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: new filter for new tank, establishing media good enough?

You've got it. Take your old dirty media from an old established filter and use that whenever you get a new filter. You can cut the old sponges, pads, etc. to make them fit into the back of the new filter if you need to. The more old media you can add the better. If you add enough, your tank will 'cycle' instantly and you can put fish in it right away. Leave the old media in the new filter to seed the new media for at least a month.

• 3xzsucof
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

3xzsucof replied the topic: new filter for new tank, establishing media good enough?

sweet!

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:new filter for new tank, establishing media good enough?

No need for danios your media has bb just put the bio in the new filter like the others suggested....your existing fish will continue to supply ammonia

• Thank you received: 32

Bri B replied the topic: Re:new filter for new tank, establishing media good enough?

Yeah these guys have you covered. And yeah no need for the Danios if you have enough cycled media involved. Keep us posted.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds