Lighting schedule.

• Bri B
  • Bri B's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32

Bri B created the topic: Lighting schedule.

Curious on what schedule everyone uses for their aquariums as far as when you have the lights on. Yesterday my Lutino was sulking pretty much all day. Looked fine and water specs were very good but she was just hanging in the corner and only ate a little. Shut the lights down overnight and woke up to her swimming as usual and had her normal huge appetite when fed. Def gonna keep that schedule now but was wondering if too much or too little light is good bad or indifferent.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 16

Nyx replied the topic: Lighting schedule.

I've heard from several people that lutinos are more sensitive to lights. Thor, my lutino does not like his tank light on at all to the point I only turn it on to take pictures or while I'm cleaning his tank. I just leave it off and leave him in the natural light of the room through the day or turn on a lamp in the room during the day, and sometimes he doesn't like it on either. So my response probably isn't too helpful as in how much I leave it on, I kind of just let thor's mood be the judge of it.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Lighting schedule.

Oscars prefer dim lighting. Albinos and Lutinos are especially light sensitive. Too bright or too many hours of light will damage the eyes. Some of my tanks have no lights, natural daylight and ambient room light in evening is good enough.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Bri B replied the topic: Re:Lighting schedule.

Nyx that makes sense as I believe albino humans are very sensitive to light as well. Also my red O seems to care less what's going on light wise. I think letting her mood decide is best plan but I'll Def be shutting it down overnight going forward.

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Thanks Suprd. Definitely explains her mood yesterday and her acting like herself this morning after being in dark all night. Thanks.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Lighting schedule.

If you leave the lights on at night you'll also be depriving her of sleep (or at least the fish equivalent of sleep). I'm too tired myself to find the link at the moment (I'll dig it up tomorrow if I remember), but some species of fish (I think it was a cichlid specifically) do get a sleep debt if they're deprived of sleep.

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Thanks Lamm. Surely makes sense. Think I'm gonna go with no light overnight and during the day (maybe just flip it on for feeding so they can locate food easier) and just have it on from from sundown till bedtime. Seems like a solid schedule. Pretty sure they would benefit from a little structure from a set schedule as well.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Lighting schedule.

You don't have to light up to feed. Oscars see very well in the dim and next to no light. Also try not to go from lights out to full on. Would be like someone waking you up with a spotlight in your face. Trying to replicate natural lighting, ie sunup and sundown will keep stress levels lower.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Lighting schedule.

Honestly, tank lights are really more of a benefit for us than anything else :P Your O's will be able to see fine (if not better) without the light blaring on them.

I'm a bit like Suprd; I only have lights on 2 of my tanks at the moment. Partially (mostly) laziness on getting it set up, but I think my O and sev in particular appreciate just having ambient light most of the time.

• Bri B
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Awesome. As usual you guys are full of great info and suggestions. When I light it up there are 2 hoods so I will light up the one on the side of the tank they aren't on first(they are always together) so they aren't blasted straight away.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds