New Tank different Filter

• Darcie
  • Darcie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Darcie created the topic: New Tank different Filter

Hi Everyone :)

Just ordered this tank www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium-supplies/aquariums/juwel...on-aquariums/juwel-vision-450-aquarium-and-cabinet-black.htm

At the moment i have a Fluval 350 which I run with 2 fluval 405 filters , the problem is the new tank has the internal 8.0 bioflow filter that uses different media to the fluval

What's the best way to go about it please

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darcie
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Darcie replied the topic: New Tank different Filter

I've spoken to the place I'm buying the tank and they say the media from the fluval won't fit in the Jewul
Does anyone have the Juwel bioflow 8.0 jumbo filter that can help please

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: New Tank different Filter

What fish were you planning to keep in the tank? The three canisters might be plenty filtration. If so, you might use the juwel for the heater and media basket without the sponges, so you won't have to get separate sponges for it. Here's a video showing the canister and the media being taken out.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Darcie

• Darcie
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Thank you for a reply really appreciate help

I've got a Oscar and and a plec , had them for around 4 yrs
When I bought them I was ill advised by the shop owner , I didn't know they would grow so much , I've had 3 tanks and now buying a 4th to accommodate my boys or girls lol

I think I've got away round it .... The 8.0 bioflow internal filter has sponges for different things like carbon etc , think can swap for the fluval sponges that are already in the filters i use at the moment and the Cirax compartment , maybe I could cut open and put the bio from my other filters

Does this sound ok

Would love some input on this

I saw a video of someone doing that very thing ... cutting the sponges to fill them with media. It should work fine for you.

• Darcie
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Hi UNC

Thanx for the info ....looked like a work of art when he'd finished :)

Think I maybe didn't explain very well

I'm transferring Oscar and Plec into the new tank and was worried about the cycle , I will transfer
the sand and the tank water but wasn't going to put the 2 filters from the old tank on as I thought the internal Juwel 8.0 bioflow Jumbo would be enough ,Is it ????

I was hoping I don't need most of the sponges that come with the( New) Juwel tank ie carbon and nitrate sponges and could put the sponges from the fluval filter in and put the ceramic tubes from the fluvals into the cirax compartment of the Juwel

I don't want to start a cycle from the beginning :unsure: :(

Oh, I understand now. I thought you were used to your old filters and didn't really care to use the jumbo 8.0 with it's different sized media. :)

You've got it. You don't need the carbon or other stuff. Put the old sponges and add your ceramic rings from the fluval into juwel cirax container. If necessary, cut the sponges so they'll fit. This way, you won't disrupt your cycle. If there's room, I'd use whatever space is left to put new media sponges in. The more filtration, the better.

An oscar and a pleco produce a lot of waste, as you know. I wouldn't say that you absolutely need a second canister, but it's definitely worth considering.

Enjoy the new tank. It's a beauty.

• Darcie
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Cheers, Thanx very much UNC

I might keep one of the fluvals running with the jumbo 8.0 like you say 2 large fish lots of poop
i will use all the media from the other fluval for the Jumbo

Hopefully with the sand and old tank water I may be ok cycle wise

Thanx again ;)

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: New Tank different Filter

The sand and old tank water will barely contain any beneficial bacteria - transferring them over is pointless as far as helping the new tank to cycle is concerned.

Pretty much all the beneficial bacteria will be in your current filters. If you transfer the media of one into the jumbo 8.0 and hook up the other to the new tank around the same time you transfer your fish then you shouldn't lose your cycle. Just make sure you don't rinse the media with tap water prior to putting it into the new filter - chlorinated water will kill off the cycle.

Aside from that, match water parameters (pH, temp etc) in the new tank and the fish should be fine getting transferred over without old water.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds