New Tank!

• robham7770
  • robham7770's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: New Tank!

tehmole wrote: OoooOoOOo a discus tank.........man that's something i would love to do ....but knowing the care for them...is the part that kills the idea.

but again....salt water...is another - oh man....the decisions - i feel the excitement for you man

I like the "idea" of both, but the learning curve, expense, and work involved with each set up would be tough. If I were to do either, it would be a slow methodical process. If I wanted discus I would have to order them, my lfs stocks them but they always look like crap. I can't see paying $50 for a mediocre fish.

@Dave, I thought about that, but want to wait and see exactly what I end up with before I make any decisions. Only about 2hrs away from picking it up!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 56

JBare replied the topic: Re:New Tank!

I've had discus and saltwater. IMO, saltwater is more expensive but Discus is harder to keep up. The payoff is amazing, but be ready.

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:New Tank!

Just got back from picking it up, I forgot about the light, but should get it pretty soon. 2 of the powerheads work as does the sump pump. I am going to clean it up and fill it to the overflow, to see if it holds water. The birds nest might have been a great bio filter, but I left it there.

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: New Tank!

Tank, sump and power heads for free that's a hell of a deal. Needs a serious clean.

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

robham7770 replied the topic: New Tank!

DBLN8 wrote: Tank, sump and power heads for free that's a hell of a deal

The guy I got it from is actually my step daughters dad. So the tank was free, but she is not. She is an awesome kid but involved in a lot of stuff, and the wife and I are always trying to come up with funds to send her on different trips etc... But free is definitely in my price range.

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: Re:New Tank!

awesome dude

Haku, I knew your were good.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:New Tank!

Cool man did you decide on whats going in yet

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:New Tank!

daddadoo7 wrote: Cool man did you decide on whats going in yet

Not yet Frank. I did clean it up a bit, and it has held water with no apparent leaks since around noon today. I wish the overflow was not on the side, but I am not complaining. I am really leaning towards salt, but want to get the light and see if it is good for coral frags. I think that I would actually have an easier time doing a salt set up than a discus, since I could just add a little bit at a time. Start off with some live rock and some invertebrate species and move up to some fish. I have to figure out exactly where it is going so I can plumb for the sump, and then make the dozen or so trips to the hardware store to make that work. The stand is not what the tank was originally on, so if I use it, I will have to modify it for the pipes.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: New Tank!

Looks great! I wasn't sure what it might look like from those first pics. B) It would be perfect for discus or reef. What's your water like? GH, KH, pH.

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: New Tank!

FOWLR is the easiest way to start with salt. I had a 75 with about 40lbs of live rock and a 12" lion fish with a 10" snowflake eel. Loved that tank but the storing of saltwater for WC's was a real pain.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds