New Tank!

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Re:New Tank!

What a fantastic pick up can't wait to see this work in progress. Hard to make a decision when you have so many options. But free can't complain about that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• robham7770
  • robham7770's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: New Tank!

DBLN8 wrote: FOWLR is the easiest way to start with salt. I had a 75 with about 40lbs of live rock and a 12" lion fish with a 10" snowflake eel. Loved that tank but the storing of saltwater for WC's was a real pain.

What is FOWLR DB? This tank was not planned, and I have not really done any homework on reef tanks. I actually had a 30g tall 20+ years ago, but the hobby has changed quite a bit since then. I never see post about the undergravel filter systems that were considered crucial back then. My lfs sells salt water by the gallon, but I don't have a clue if it would be a good idea to use it. Once I get it placed, and the sump working, the OFL crew will definitely have a say so in how it progresses.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: New Tank!

robham7770 wrote: What is FOWLR DB?

Fish Only With Live Rock

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

A couple of new pics of the tank. I am way out of my comfort zone with this tank, but have done some homework on the plumbing. I think I am going with an animalbean 3 stand pipe set up with returns over the rim. I am leaning toward the reef set up, but I am also considering removing the overflow and capping the drilled holes, and going with fresh. I would love some opinions.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:New Tank!

Looks great rob

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:New Tank!

daddadoo7 wrote: Looks great rob

Thanks Frank, but that is more of a statement than an opinion. What would you do with this. I am thinking reef(a lot of money), discus(a lot of money), or maybe calvus/african set up. I also thought about trying to trade for a real cichlid tank on cl.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: New Tank!

I had to come to that realization that I like big fish and really it would be a waste for me to have smaller tanks. Will this one work for what you want? Seems too deep and a bad footprint for Calvus/African's, really seems better suited for angels or discus. While it is a cool tank will it work for you?

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: New Tank!

If you lived closer I would give you the 25 - 30 lbs of dead rock I have left over from salt tank. it's sitting in a stryofoam box in the garage gathering dust, I'm going to try and sell it on CL.

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

DMD123 wrote: I had to come to that realization that I like big fish and really it would be a waste for me to have smaller tanks. Will this one work for what you want? Seems too deep and a bad footprint for Calvus/African's, really seems better suited for angels or discus. While it is a cool tank will it work for you?

I don't know Norm, the more I think about it the less appealing it is. Tank was free, but I could spend quite a bit of cash getting it set up. I think I could get a 120 going for my oscar for the same investment as it will take to make this into something. Any thoughts on sealing the holes, and removing the bulkhead?

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

DBLN8 wrote: If you lived closer I would give you the 25 - 30 lbs of dead rock I have left over from salt tank. it's sitting in a stryofoam box in the garage gathering dust, I'm going to try and sell it on CL.

I really want to have a reef, but you obviously got out of it for some reason. What happened? and why did you get out?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds