Background. Paint vs. Cling?

• Nyx
  • Nyx's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16

Nyx created the topic: Background. Paint vs. Cling?

Ok guys, I bought Thor a new 75gallon. Before I switch him over and set it up I wanted to put on his background but now thanks to a suggestion from a coworker im not sure what I want to use. I bought a background that uses some stickers to stick to it. What I like about it, it looks pretty, and would be easy to change if I changed my mind later. But now I'm considering painting it. This way I won't have to worry about bubbling under it and it looking bad later. Some paint options I was considering was just some matte wall paint I used in my bed room or picking up a can of aresol plastidip. A brand often used with cars, it's like a rubber biased paint that you can peal away once you don't like it.
So what do you guys suggest? I'm leaning towards the wall paint just because I have it here and I'm snowed in and would like the to work on it this weekend.
Feel free to post pictures of what you have done or do!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Background. Paint vs. Cling?

I just went through this myself and ended up doing the cling. I like how it came out but it is a challenge and it helps to have a second pair of hands to help.

Ive never painted a background on but have heard it can be an issue with things like hob filters that could rub off spots. Not sure on that since Ive never tried it.

Done tons of regular backgrounds and even tried the 'mounting solution' which looks like a cling but is messy and a total pain to do.

So not much of a help to you but my preference are regular old backgrounds.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nyx

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Background. Paint vs. Cling?

I prefer paint because all my tanks are over 48" long. DMD just bought the best background I think I've ever seen if it looks 1/2 as good in person as it does in pics go with that (it only comes pre cut 48"). If you go with Latex paint or plastidip they both come off of glass really easy if you change your mind.

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Nyx replied the topic: Background. Paint vs. Cling?

Thanks for posting, guys!
I think I'm just leaning towards the paint right because it's a deep purple and I love purple lol.

I think I remember DMD's thead. I may have gotten the same background you did...
This one?

I'm suddenly very indecisive and I think that's just because I can't get behind my tank when it's set up so I do this then I'm sticking with it for a long while! Lol.
I'm not sure if the wall paint I got is latex paint or not, I'll have to check that. If not is there harm to the tank if I paint it with non latex then have to scrape it off with a razor blade later?

I have that one, but I am using the rock side for my puffer tank. When I was doing the 75g I was going to do the planted side of the one or the cling I ended up with.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Background. Paint vs. Cling?

I would be careful of the fumes if you are thinking of doing it indoors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nyx

My 210g is just a simple black stuck on with tape. (Excuse the mess, tomorrow is cleaning day and plants and everything else gets a hardcore clean)

I love it because it makes the 24" wide tank seem slimmer. Most people are shocked that it is that deep.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Background. Paint vs. Cling?

Pork Chop is huge! What a cutie.

Bad David. Bad. Where the f*** could I put a Pearsei... :whistle:

I also uh, like the black BG.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DMD123

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Nyx replied the topic: Background. Paint vs. Cling?

UNC-CH wrote: I would be careful of the fumes if you are thinking of doing it indoors.

Thanks for the concern! We have a garage I had planned on doing it in.

That looks great! I keep thinking black or grey since I have a lutino Oscar but my gravel is black so I don't want it too dark. I think it'd look good if I used the lights more but Thor hates his light so I just use ambient room light.

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Background. Paint vs. Cling?

DMD123 wrote: My 210g is just a simple black stuck on with tape. (Excuse the mess, tomorrow is cleaning day and plants and everything else gets a hardcore clean)

I love it because it makes the 24" wide tank seem slimmer. Most people are shocked that it is that deep.

Love that tank D!!!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds