Question about filtration

• linux003
  • linux003's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

linux003 created the topic: Question about filtration

Greetings folks, kinda new here and wanted to get some input on how to set up my filtration. I'm getting a free 55 gallon tank in a few weeks and wanted to get an oscar and maybe 1 other tank mate for it. I found 2 Aquaclear 110 on craigslist for $20 each and they are still in pretty good shape. I was wondering if using those 2 along with 2 or 3 Hydro Sponge V will be enough mechanical/bio filtration without having to upgrade to a canister filter. I also found a Penn Plax Cascade 1500 for $70, but it looks pretty beat up. Anyone have any experience with the Cascade line of filters? Anyways, hope to get some input :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Question about filtration

hi and welcome

2 aqua 110 for $20 each is a steal ... if they work...of course. sorry to say...it'll be good for a single oscar - i wouldn't put a tank mate in there due to space even with 2 aqua 110. get those 110 before they are gone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: linux003

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Question about filtration

The 2x ac110 in combination with the sponges will give you more than adequate filtration for a 55. i don't think anyone here will advocate for stocking anything other than a single O in a 55 regardless of filtration. Healthy oscars just max out a 55 sooner than later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: linux003

• linux003
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

linux003 replied the topic: Question about filtration

Ok, thanks for the replies. I was going to buy a small oscar or 2 and then eventually move them out since I'll be buying a 150 gallon tank this summer anyways, but hopefully this will hold them over till then.

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Question about filtration

linux003 wrote: Ok, thanks for the replies. I was going to buy a small oscar or 2 and then eventually move them out since I'll be buying a 150 gallon tank this summer anyways, but hopefully this will hold them over till then.

How many fish do you plan on in the 150? If you are trying to get a breeding pair for a 150 then you probably need around six to start off with. I would not attempt this in a 55, but would wait for the larger tank.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Question about filtration

Linux

When i got back in the hobby i did the same thing. Planned on a 150 and purchased a 55 to hold me over. If i could do it all over i would have gone 180 gal instead of 150. The Xtra Width gives you a lot more options down the road if your preferences change and you start to get into other fish also I would have gotten a 75 gallon instead of 55 gallon if you plan to set up the bigger tank as a community around your Oscar keep in mind that Oscars grow fast the problem that I had was that by the time I set up my 150 my Oscar had gotten pretty large he was overly aggressive some fish are just that way but he would not accept tank mates even in a six foot tank and had to be rehomed as far as the 55 gallon it is okay as a hold over but down the road you may want another set up like I did I eventually had to purchase a 75 gallon the footprint is just much better than a 55 I'm not saying that you will definitely have these issues just what I experienced. Mixing cichlids is a crapshoot but you would more likely succeed introducing them at appropriate sizes meaning not putting a six or seven inch Oscar in with 2 or 3 inch juvenile tankmates

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Question about filtration

What are the dimensions of a 150 gal 6ft Frank? Only 6ft tanks readily available here are 6x18s (which are ~110 - 120 gal?) or 6x2x2. Sorry for the derail, just curious.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Question about filtration

Lamm its 6ft by 18 i think the height is 27

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Question about filtration

Welcome to OFL linux. 2 AC 110's will more than cover a 55g. I would pass on the sponge filters as space will be at a premium for your intended Oscars. I do not however recommend putting 2 Oscars in a 55g, regardless of fish size or intended time in said tank. What I would suggest is that you go ahead with a 55g, stock with a dozen Giant Danios for several months to establish a viable bacteria colony in the filters. Then get your 150, get your Oscars, put Danios and established filters in the 150 with new Oscars and see how everything shakes out. 2 new Oscars in an uncylced, too small of a tank is a recipe for disaster.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• linux003
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

linux003 replied the topic: Question about filtration

So I got the tank set up with the 2 ac110s with new sponges and seachem matrix. From what I've read, water is suppose to go from the bottom through the sponge and upwards correct? I have water flowing over the gray basket that holds the sponge and media, essentially bypassing the sponge at the bottom. I shut off the filters and made sure the intake tube was secure over the impeller like the instructions say, and even when I adjust the flow to low, some water still spills over and goes right back into the ank without ever going through the sponge. Is this normal?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds